5.10.2011

Very Glad to Meet You

Being back home is so great. While traveling, you kind of can't wait to be back home, while at the same time, you really, really don't want your travels to end. So I usually don't go straight back home. I go and visit with friends and family before heading home to start working, errands and chores a few days later. Then I go home and the work starts. My mom says I have a whole (huge) BOX full of mail to open. Ug. I also have a To Do list about a mile long. So I put that off for a few days.

Little A
I got home on Mother's Day. Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend time with my own Mom, but I got to have brunch with one of my best friends, KJ, my Other Mother, C (KJ's Mom), and my other "cousins" and friends, as well little A, who I haven't seen in about 5 months. She is getting so big!  She is KJ's daughter and it was great to spend mother's day with three generations of my favorite ladies.

KJ, Bro and A on Shattuck Ave
Next, I had a great time with KJ and my brother. We went to Berkeley for a food extravaganza. Unfortunately, The Cheese Board Pizza shop was closed, but we went instead to the Imperial Tea Court on Shattuck Ave, which has great pulled noodles and a fun dim sum sampler. As well as an amazing selection of great tea, served in the traditional cup with the lid. My pulled noodles were actually not as good as the last time I was there, but hanging out with KJ, A and Bro was fun no matter what.

After that, my Bro and his lady and I spent the day out on the coast near Jenner, attempting to catch some fish. Unfortunately, we didn't catch anything, but we had a great day, and an uncommonly sunny one (although it was not warm) at the coast. This was my first time fishing from the shore into the ocean, and I don't think I am very good at it! My arm was super tired from the heavy weight and the long pole, and I was soaked up to the waist, since I went too close to the water to make a cast and the wave came up and hit me. I kept losing my bait. I think I spent more time reloading my bait and trying to stay out of the way of the waves than actually fishing. I actually did catch a couple things -- seaweed and someone else's fishing hook. Score.

Here are a few photos of our fishing extravaganza.

Bro and I -- ready to catch some fish!

Bro and Lady -- FISH ON!

Bro tries to (unsuccessfully) start a fire
We also saw THIS SIGN -- I mean, I am back in CA, but the signs are still not spelled right? Funny.


Oh and my brother got me a Kindle for my birthday! Yay. I am excited to start using it. Any eReader pros out there have any tips for me? I already have some classic books downloaded for free from Amazon. Any other ways to get cheap and or free books? Did you guys know you can lend books to other Kindle users now?

Do you like coming home after being gone for a while? Who is the first person you visit? Dose (haha) anyone have any off shore fishing tips for me?

V is for Very. A-Z is almost done. Only a month late.

4 comments:

  1. That's fun that you got a kindle! I have a nook so am not of much help. I did hear you will be able to download library books by the end of the year, so that is good! :)

    When I come home, I usually need time to sort of decompress, so I don't jump into seeing people right away. Then the first people I want to see are my brother, his wife, and their 2 boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Lisa, I have a nook. I don't know what the battery life is like with your Kindle but I try to plug my nook in at night so it's always ready for me to use :)

    I didn't realize people could fish from the beach before--sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing to do is come home after being gone for a while. We didn't have any luck fishing this weekend, either- and we were in SB. I have a Nook, not a Kindle. It's nice because all you have to do is hook it up to your computer to get what you need.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting a nook.. i think since they come out with new versions every xmas they might add full wireless internet capabilities with their next model.. i'll finally buy one if so! it would be like a mini ipad..

    –Lorena
    TravelDesignery.com
    .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!