9.07.2026

Same, Same, But Different

After traveling in a car together for many, many hours, and then spending time in hotel rooms, Airbnbs, attractions, restaurants and bars, Birchie and I found out a lot of things about each other! The Blogger Extraordinaire was fun, not just for the sights seen, people visited and photos taken, but getting to know each other better was an adventure in itself. Of course, as adult people who have lived independently for many years over our lives, we found out some things that we definitely had in common and some things that we did differently. The question is, how did it stack up? Did either of us change due to seeing how other people did things? Let's find out! 

Same, Same

Alone Time: We both appreciate our alone time! It does not always jive up at the same time, but for the most part, we like a quiet morning, and a chill evening. We also don't mind listening to an audio book or podcast rather than always talking in the car, although this did not happen a lot, it did happen from time to time. 

The End Result? In the morning, I would often take a run while Birchie did her thing, and then in the evening after dinner, we would often do our thing or watch a show. However, this did evolve as we went along, and was maybe influenced by our newfound Traitors obsession. 

Food: Luckily, we were pretty much on the same eating schedule. We had a small breakfast, often stopped for a car sandwich lunch around 11:00 am, then were ready for dinner pretty much as soon as we got settled in the lodging, which was generally around 5:00 pm. 

The end result? We are both happy to be part of the early bird special and usually made sandwiches at a gas station or rest area for lunch. 

Picnic in Buffalo, WY

Beer: We both like beer, but especially IPAs. Need I say more? 

The end result? We would happily share a flight to try different beers, or even share a beer if it came down to it. 

Beer selection at the Sleepy Coyote in Ten Sleep, WY
Note the saw in the background

Music: We both like musicals and also love singing along to them! 

The end result? On the trip, we listened to Sound of Music, Hamilton and The Music Man (sparked by our drive through Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary Indiana!) I also had Phantom, Les Mis, In The Heights, Newsies and more queued up, but in the end, we just could not get to all of them! We also went to see the Medora musical in North Dakota. 

Outdoor theater in Medora, ND

Mayo: Spicy mayo for life! 

The end result? We only needed one sandwich condiment! 



Exercise: We both wanted to be sure that we kept to a semi-regular exercise routine, given we would be in the car and eating strange foods etc. 

Hiking at Theodore Roosevelt National Park

The end result? I often went on a run around town, we took at least one walk or hike per day, and we also sometimes did push ups (Birchie more than me!). For me, my average steps per day for the 15 days we were on the road was just under 16,000, and there was no day under 10,000 (one day was 10,008!)

--------------------------------

But Different

Multiple Car Loads: I like to bring everything in from the car all at once. This is not just on vacation, but also when I buy groceries or really whenever I have to unload anything from the car. Birchie likes multiple trips. This could be that she travels in style, road trip style I mean, and has a cooler and other nice gadgets to make the trip more enjoyable. I have one bag, and can carry the cooler and multiple other bags at once in order to do it all in one. 

The end result? By the end, if the room was hard to get to (aka up a set of stairs, further away etc.) Birchie was okay to take just one trip. If we were parked right in front of the room or door, I was okay to just do one. Did we rub off on each other? Yes. 

Luggage: As you know, I travel light. I normally do this, but currently all I have is my bike stuff, so its even lighter than normal! Birchie has a deluxe road trip set up, with a cooler, coffee maker, electric kettle and more. I also only have two black outfits (and a running outfit) so I don't have many clothes either. 

Birchie (left), Me (right)
PC: Birchie (more info here)

The end result? I got a lot of ideas for my future campervan set up! The electric cooler is clutch. When cycling, I eat a lot of processed foods that don't need refrigeration, and it was so nice to be able to buy cheese or beer and have it be cold when you want it. Birchie did mention that she is considering swapping over to the all black ensemble.  Did we rub off on each other? Yes!   

Audio Speed: Birchie listens to audio (books, podcasts) at 1x speed. I listen at 2x or 2.20x. We did try listening to some audio at 1.1x to see what Birchie thought, but it was a bit of a fail. 

The end result? If the podcast was one that I had listened to before, the voice often sounded like the person was sick or had had a stroke or something. I didn't love it. Birchie didn't really like anything more than 1.1x. Did we rub off on each other? Not this time. 

Sandwiches: I had turkey, she had tofurkey! 

The end result? We both had sandwiches and it is not hard to carry around two different kinds of meat (in Birchie's excellent cooler). Did we rub off on each other? We didn't need to! I would eat tofurkey if needed. I think Birchie would eat turkey but wouldn't love it. 

Deli meats

Coffee: Part of Birchie's cool road trip packing set up is a pour over coffee maker, electric kettle, half and half (in the cooler) and premeasured ground coffee. I like good coffee, but also can drink pretty much anything, including instant coffee. I generally drank the hotel coffee, or made drip coffee if we were in an airbnb. Also, she has only one cup, whereas I want two or even three if we have time. 

The end result? She made her coffee each morning, and I sourced my coffee from various places, including the hotel lobby, gas stations, the in room coffee maker, or my own emergency stash of Nescafe. Did we rub off on each other? Halfway. I would go up the scale, but I doubt Birchie would go down. 

Last day of the trip, I splurged!

Parking: Birchie is a parking lot/garage person, whereas I am a curb/street parker. I can and do parallel park and free parking is always better than paid parking. Birchie just wants the car to be safe and the parking to be simple and does not care about the price. 

The end result? When I drove, I parked wherever, although of course was influenced by the fact that the car was not mine, so probably parked in more conservative places than I would have if it were my own car. Birchie did not attempt to park on the curb. Birchie only attempted one curb parking job, and it looked like a drunk person may have parked the car (unfortunately I did not take a photo, but I do believe two tires were on the curb. Also, she has approved this joke in advance! I would never make fun of her without her permission.)  Did we rub off on each other? Hard No. 

Questions for you! Let us know what your preferences are in these categories! Even if you just have time for one, let us know, what speed you listen to your audiobooks at and how many trips you take from the car after you get groceries or come back from a trip! 

2 comments:

  1. Well, my comment is easy for this post since you already know my preferences! We also had similar wake up/bedtimes, which is only unusual because I'm on Eastern time and you had been on Mountain time when we started the trip.

    Retired people meal times FTW! Is there any other time to eat dinner besides 5:00?

    I'm flying for my next trip, so by definition all of my stuff is one load. No car cooler, no extensive water bottle collection...and (gulp!) it's not always possible to make my own coffee so I have to slum it and take what I can get. Thankfully the worst coffee that I have had in recent years was Tim Horton's at the Vancouver airport. It was a low blow, but still not that far down on the scale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! Great job by you. It's fun to see what other people's preferences for things are. I don't listen to audiobooks, but I do listen to podcasts - at 1x the speed. I usually listen while I'm walking or doing things around the house and I have no need to rush through them. I am also a visual person, not an audial one, and so I don't absorb info as well that way - which is why I like the 1x speed.
    There is zero way I could get into the house with only one trip, as I pack my groceries in big plastic bins that require two hands, and I usually have at least three filled, plus more stuff, so it is physically impossible to do only one trip. Then again, Rob usually comes out to help me, as well as any son who is home, so sometimes *I* have one trip, but the guys have more than one. As for travel, that's maybe one trip if we are coming home from the airport, but not if we are road tripping, because we have Rex with us which requires a lot more gear. I mean, I've always known I'm a much higher-maintenance gal than you, but this definitely shows it!
    I forced Birchie to drink my coffee when she was here, because I put all the accoutrement together the night before. Poor Birchie! I drink a ton of coffee first thing in the morning, and then none for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!