5.20.2024

TGIM

I thought I would jump on the TGIF wagon, except that now that I don't have a normal work week, I actually dislike the weekends. Funny, eh? However, they are busier and it takes longer to go grocery shopping and there are more people on the roads and the trails! So now, Monday is my new Friday. However, today is Victoria Day in Canada, so it may still be a bit busier than normal. However, I thought I would do a quick TGIM post anyway. Happy Victoria Day everyone! 

The high of the last week was: My birthday was a great day. I am not really one to celebrate, and I hate being the center of attention (please do not sing to me). However, this day was perfect. I got up naturally, had a nice coffee and breakfast, tackled a nice easy 2% grade uphill, had good weather, then a very smooth downhill with excellent views. It was not too hot, I got into town early and treated myself to lunch, I got like 6 errands done in only a few hours and I had a chance to relax! It was excellent. The only thing I did not get was my free Starbucks drink, as the town I was in was tiny and did not have one. However, my anonymous friend, who reads this blog, and is a very nice dude, gifted me a SBUX gift card so that I could get my "free" coffee whenever I wanted it!! Isn't that just the cherry on top!? Thanks B-man! 

Coming down the hill into Grand Forks, BC

The low of the last week was: I had one day where I had a section of single-track which was sandy and rocky, and was skinny and was right next to the Columbia River, with a wall on one side and a drop off on the other. It.Was.Hairy! Plus there were a lot of steep ups and downs and I ended up pushing Bob a lot. Plus I fell a couple of times, luckily not serious, but it was a frustrating day for sure. To top it off, I was going to camp, but it was an extra six miles past town so I decided to just get a room, but I was hot and frustrated and I accidentally booked one at the top of a hill, so when I got into town I had to go a mile uphill to get to my hotel and it was not even close to a grocery store! I caved and walked to a pub across the street and drowned my sorrows in baby back ribs. 

Bob fell and got a booboo

Something I marked off my to-do list was: Gah! The health insurance has become a fiasco. I got global health insurance right after I quit my job with the understanding that I was going to be traveling to several different countries, but my first two would be the US and Canada. First they tried to get me to give them a domicile in Canada, but I reiterated that I would be constantly traveling. They said that was fine, insurance was approved and I thought I was good. Then a month later, they asked me to give them a domicile in the US. I reiterated that I am traveling and they did not reply. Then a week later I got a notice "confirming my cancelation" of my insurance and thanking me for being a loyal customer. After a big back and forth with the company, who is based in the UK, I finally got it reinstated. Phew! 

The book I am reading is: I am still reading the Outlander on eBook, which is taking me a while because I mostly listen to audio and really only read for about an hour at night in my tent, and this book is also long. However, I do not mind, and I am enjoying it. On audio, it changes every day, but I am reading one called Open Season by CJ Box, which reads like a book written by a man who maybe used to be in law enforcement or the military. It is so-so. 

The best thing I spent money on was: FOOD! I love food! I actually went whole hog for my birthday week last week and I ate out three times! Normally on any given week, I may eat out once, but more likely I would just get groceries (ahem, ice cream) from the store and eat them instead. My favorite thing was a double bacon cheeseburger with a wiener on it! I had to take the wiener off and eat is separately and then split the sandwich in two and eat two open face sandwiches in order to get it into my mouth, as it was so big (insert wiener joke here?)! 

Weiner burger + poutine fries!
(GF bun in case you are wondering why it looks so funny)

Good stuff!

My plans this week include: Pedaling, looking at stuff, taking photos of stuff, eating. 

My favorite photo from the last week is: This one! I have been riding a lot of the Kettle Valley Rail Trail (KVR) and I completed the entire thing (some parts are washed out but I did all that was possible) and got to mile zero! After that, I went on the Columbia and Western Rail Trail (C&W) and I also completed the entire length of that one too! It feels so satisfying, even though I have many miles left. 


Butt and Gut Update: I have been lucky that since I started, I have not had any saddle sore issues. I was quite worried about that, as there have been long days in the saddle. However, KNOCK ON WOOD, I have only had a little bit of chafe from time to time, but nothing serious at all. For the gut, I have basically had no bloating, except for one time that I had a banana and beans in the same day. However, I have even tried eating a couple of slices of sourdough with no issues and I did have a few beers too. I am still staying basically gluten free and am not really eating beans, garlic, onions or high sugar/fiber fruit. It seems to be working! 

What are you reading? What was the high/low of your week last week? What have you crossed off of your to-do list lately? 

25 comments:

  1. This is Lisa! I still can’t see you mention grand forks without thinking you are in ND! That was where I went to college so is such a big part of my formative years so I have to remind myself there is in fact another GF that isn’t in ND! I am sorry to hear about the falls but happy to hear that your butt and gut are doing so well! That Gf bun does look a little sad in the burger shot - but it looks homemade? Or at least not like an Udi’s bun!

    I can relate to the insurance woes for a different reason. I am having major issues with my injection meds which makes no sense because I have been on a form of these meds for 10 years and have never had such issues. The insurance co got smart to the fact that I was getting credit towards my deductible when the drug company paid the co pay assistance so they introduced this other copay company into the equation and it is a freaking disaster. It makes my blood boil a bit thinking about the massive bill I got when I get back from Dallas. Plus the meds aren’t even really working since I have a crappy flare right now that won’t quit so gah. I am hoping to figure this out today.

    I just finished ‘trust’ which was quite good but I think probably 3.5 instead of the 4 stars I gave it on GR. Now I started ‘the 7 year slip’ which I can tell is going to be a fast, fun read. The high of last week was my date night with Phil (we went to 112 eatery). The low was dealing with this stupid painful flare. I haven’t crossed anything off my to do list yet as I’m in the midst of getting the kids out the door (in a lull where they are eating breakfast/getting dressed). But I have several client meetings today and need to call CVS to find out WTF is going on. I am so mad about the insurance stuff if you can’t tell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug, that insurance fiasco is definitely one of those things where I wish I had a personal assistant. I just hate dealing with that kind of stuff and it makes me angry and when I get angry I cry and then it is just ugly after that. When I lived in NOLA I had to have surgery but I did not have insurance and I was not exactly just rolling in dough if you know what I mean, and it was so stressful. I look back now and know that I probably should have handled it differently, but I was young and had not had to go through that before and did not know what I was doing! Also the insurance and medical billing process is stupid. When I was in Oakland, I went for an MRI and they double billed me and luckily I look at that stuff, because I could have easily paid twice without even realizing it!

      As you know, I love 112! Do they still have fois gras? I know that has gone in and out of favor over the years economically and am not sure what the current status is for that. What was the date night for? Just for funsies?

      Delete
    2. It was our anniversary date! We went out on Sat, anniversary was on Sunday. I've been trying to book a date every quarter and it worked out that the Feb date coincided with my birthday and then May was my anniversary. I'm hoping to do a date night when we are at my parents in August and that will be around Phil's bday.

      I *think* the insurance stuff is resolved and I haven't had to pay anything but the whole process was so bizarre because the week before, I had to pay over $1k to meet my deductible and then this latest ridiculous bill had no insurance payment applied. What are these clowns doing? But I won't trust it is actually taken care of until I'm able to refill my prescription which is probably happening pretty soon.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! My favorite way to celebrate my birthday is to skip a center of attention event and have a perfect day instead. Baby back ribs are always welcome. Double bacon cheeseburger with wiener? Magnificent!

    I saw the TV show before I read the book for Outlander, and since they were so similar I ended up watching the show over reading the books. It's definitely a book that's going to last you a while.

    You're the perfect person to ask for audio book recommendations! What have you heard/read for non fiction lately? I'm going to be doing a ton of driving for my solo vacation in a few weeks which means a lot of podcasts and audio books will be going down.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I kind of want to just do my thing on "my" day, and this is exactly what I did! Re Outlander, I finished it! I did not realize it was over 800 pages, as I had the ebook and I just kept plugging along. However, it was not a slow read, and like I said, it is basically a romance with swords, but I guess in that aspect kind of reminds me of The Princess Bride. I have borrowed book 2 on audio, so we shall see if I like it in that format, or if I should just read them on ebook, which is pretty slow going. I checked to see where the show streams, but it looks like you have to have Starz(??) What platform did you watch it on?

      BOOKS! Yes. I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but here are a few of the recent ones I have enjoyed (in audio form): Dinners With Ruth (Re: RBG), The Light We Carry / Becoming (M. Obama), Quit Like a Millionaire (not non-fiction, maybe more guide), A Heart That Works (memoir, sad though!), Remember (Lisa Genova, also if you have not already read her other books - Still Alice and Every Note Played are also good), I'm Glad My Mom Died, Empire of Pain. I could list more, just let me know!

      Delete
  3. Hey, Happy Birthday! I'm glad you're treating yourself well. That burger...WOW! It would be at least two meals for me, and I'd skip the hot dog. But my level of physical activity is like bedmaking compared to yours.

    Insurance is Satan himself. I just got done wrangling with it myself, and it took weeks and weeks. Ugh. You have my sympathies.

    I'm currently reading--on Maya's recommendation--The Bee Sting by Paul Murray. Great story and good writing with some humour as well.

    Over the weekend we got the lakehouse deep cleaned from top to bottom to get ready for the family to come for the long weekend. We'll be putting the boat in and it'll be baby Theo's first time out on the water with us. Should be a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time on the lake sounds like pure heaven! I bet you are going to have a great time and it will be so fun to get baby Theo started on the traditions of the family! I grew up near the Feather River and I have SUCH fond memories of swimming and family time that go hand in hand with the river. The river is summer; the river is fun; the river is loved ones and heat and sand and...the river is everything! Theo is going to love the lake.

      I just looked up the Bee Sting and it looks like a fun read! I am going to see if I can get it from the library!

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Kyria! I think you celebrated the day perfectly. :) I am forever annoyed that Starbucks only lets you get your birthday drink ON your birthday. They should give you the whole month like most places do.

    That insurance fiasco sounds really annoying to deal with. I hope you can get it straightened out, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree re Starbucks! I am never in the right place at the right time. I usually forget about it until later in the day and then I am like, meh, I don't really need a coffee and I don't want to go and get one! Sheer laziness, but dude, it's MY birthday, I should get my coffee when I want it. Anyway, I am totally on board with having a birthday month drink instead.

      Delete
  5. I would be such a wimp about crashing - I'd throw in the towel for sure! I'm so proud of your grit and endurance.
    Yay for special birthday food!!!
    What a nuisance about the insurance. Eeks. I'm glad things are settling down and hopefully there are no more hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think crashing, like most things in life, is something you fear and then you do it, and you either break your collarbone or you survive and you press on. I really had that "getting back on the horse" fear but did it and felt better after a few seconds. However, after falling I definitely was more careful!

      Delete
  6. Hi! It’s Michelle G. Happy birthday! It sounds like you had the perfect day! I was cringing at the thought of riding on that scary trail - and that you fell! I’m so glad you weren’t hurt. The hamburger with a wiener on top made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I was telling a friend about the wiener burger and he said that where he is from (Cincinnati), they have the same thing and they call it the "girth burger." I thought that was kind of funny because of well, the obvious reasons, but also if you eat too many, your waist girth will sure grow too!

      Delete
  7. Yay, Happy Birthday! It sounds like a good day, with a bit of self pampering which is the best. I'm glad you weren't injured on that track. You are tough. Massive hamburgers are alwys a bit of a puzzle ... I mean how are you supposed to eat them? I'm sure no one has that big a mouth, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got the restaurant recommendation from the bike shop and when I went back to pick up my bike, they asked what I got and I told them, and they said the same thing! They said that they actually take the wiener off (which is what I did) and then eat the rest. However, for me, even the rest was too big! The issue with GF buns too is that they get soggy fast, so it was definitely a challenge!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! Take care on some of those trails - yikes, that does sound stressful. So does the insurance - good thing it's all settled out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am not very good at the single track and definitely not when I am on a heavy bike. I guess I should have practiced with nothing on the bike? Oh well, now I guess I am just learning as I go!

      Delete
  9. I am listening to the audiobook of All Creatures Great and Small and it's so long. I mean, it's no Outlander, but it's long. I can't tell if I like it or not. LOL.

    Happy birthday! I'm glad you treated yourself to that delicious (?) weiner burger!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I have not read Herriot since I was a kid! My parents and grandparents were big fans! I have a kids version of that book (like a picture book) so I did not realize it was so long!

      Thanks for the birthday wishes! It was delicious! No ??, just !!

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday! it's great you've had a great day to celebrate it by yourself, sounds like a relaxing and reflective way to spend it. That meal looks out of this world!!! so many layers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that burger was massive. The only thing I could have added to make it bigger is an egg! We had a place that used to do a double bacon cheeseburger with an egg and I always had to deconstruct it to eat it!

      Delete
  11. Happy belated birthday, Kyria... and how nice you got your "free Starbucks birthday drink" through the generosity of a friend :)
    I did not know you were also reading Outlander - which book are you on (or is it Outlander, Book 1)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks San! I have only read the first one, which I think is called Outlander, and I have borrowed the second, which is Dragonfly in Amber. It is a long audiobook! Are you also reading the series and if so, what book are you on?

      Delete
  12. Happy Belated Birthday! It sounds like it was perfect, exactly what you wanted. OMG that burger is INSANE, but if you can't eat a double bacon cheeseburger with a wiener on your birthday, when can you??? I'm loving your epic adventure, and yes I can see why you now prefer Mondays to the weekends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I have never had the opportunity to eat a wiener burger, but yes, if there is any day to do it, your birthday is that day. I have had a double bacon cheeseburger with an egg before and that is equally as satisfying.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!