5.06.2024

Looking Back: Books + A Bonus Question or Two

Remember my lack of reading motivation in March? Well, in reading terms for me, April went in like a lamb and out like a lion. I know that is the wrong month or order or whatever but hey, I am going with it, and that is final. Due to having lots of time during the day to listen to audiobooks, I ended up reading 25 books in April, which I am pretty sure may be the most I have ever read in a month. Now, we all know that quantity is not quality, so here were my six favorites of the bunch. I will also tell you my one least favorite AND will answer a couple of your questions that you have submitted at the bottom of this post! 



The Women by Kristin Hannah (5 stars): I am sure most of you have already heard about this book, but if not, it is about the women serving in the Vietnam war, and some of the trials that they go through, both in the war and afterward. 

The Breaking Wave by Nevil Shute (4 stars): I totally crashed Jenny and Birchie's party of two for this book, and am glad that I did. It is a little dry at first, but it ramps up and ends up being fun. It's about an Australian man in WWII who goes through a lot and then tries to find his brother's old girlfriend to help tie up loose ends. Of course there are a few twists and turns along his search, but he ends up exactly where he needs to be. 

The Teacher by Freida McFadden (4 stars): Thrillers are my romance novel. Plop me down with a killer on the loose and a backstabbing wife and I am there. This one is about two teachers, the nice English teacher husband and the cold mean Math teacher wife. Throw in a misunderstood loner high school girl who has both of their classes and a crush on the Mr. and you have a good time for all! 

The Phoenix Crown by Kate Quinn and Janie Chang (4 stars): While not my favorite of her books (that would be The Alice Network), once again Kate Quinn has told a good story. Set in 1906 San Francisco right before the big earthquake and fire that destroyed half of the city, this book is about vice, deceit and friendship. I learned a bit of history and also had an adventure along the way.  

The Things We Leave Unfinished by Rebecca Yarros (4 stars): This is my kind of romance novel. This is no Emily Henry fluff; this one has a backbone. About a couple who meets during the war and the woman's granddaughter who allows a writer to try to recreate the ending of the grandmother's unfinished story, it is a story of love during a difficult time, loss, and war. 

Holly by Stephen King (4 stars): I have always been a King fan, and am liking his non-horror books so far! This is another detective novel, where Holly tries to solve a case of a missing girl, and gets herself in deeper than she expected. It has a bit of a Hannibal Lecter element, and the audiobook even has a verbal author's note from King himself. The one thing that was a bit odd in this book was how you definitely realize, if you did not before, that King is a democrat and is not a fan of Trump! He makes that VERY clear, which I found interesting, as I don't remember any of his other books having a political element. 

Did not love: 

The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese: This book was TOO LONG!! It was a 30 hour audiobook (normal length is about 10 hours) and it goes through several generations of one family as well as having side stories about other characters. He also goes on and on about medical terms (like the bones in the foot for example). I know what a talus bone is! Move on! It could have been a good book at 300 pages, but 700+ is too much. 

Okay now onto a couple of your questions!

The number one question was...do I or will I get lonely? Short answer, no or I don't think so. First of all, I am a solo person, I love to read and am happy spending hours alone. One of my favorite things to do is to go on a 10 or 12 day hike in the literal middle of nowhere and camp on a mountain with nobody for miles around. 

However, I also am not adverse to talking to people at the bar when I stop for coffee, or at the gas station when I stop for a rest break. When you have a bike full of stuff, people talk to you unsolicited. Not only that, but there is a thing called Warm Showers, where people will host you for the night, and I have done this a few times and have had a blast. On top of that, I am staying with friends when and where I can, so I do have those times to fill in any gaps. So far, of my ~ month that I have been traveling, I have stayed with WS hosts two nights and with friends for thirteen nights, so basically about a third of the time! 

And to keep with the above theme, Nicole asked: Do you have a favourite book? When asked this question, for years I would say A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. My grandmother gave me a copy when I was small and I read it and re-read it over the years, always loving it again each time. I don't know if it is nostalgia or that it has just held up well, but my most recent reading last year did not disappoint! So I guess that is still my answer, although I have found several authors that usually come through, and actually two of them are in the list above!! I have found Kristin Hannah (in her more recent novels) and Kate Quinn to be two that I usually enjoy. 

Who is your favorite author? What good books did you read in April? Do you/would you get lonely if you travel alone? 

23 comments:

  1. 30 HOURS??????? Hard pass.

    I've got my Libby hold in for The Women. I like the sound of The Teacher. The only Stephen King that I've ever read was On Writing, so I'm interested in branching out there as well.

    All time fav authors? Definitely Nevil Shute. The Breaking Wave was pretty good, but not his best. Joyce Porter for the Dover series, and Sue Townsend is another name that comes to mind. It's been a while since I read any of her book though, so I wonder if they will still stand up? Shute and Porter are lifers that worked for me when I was 12 and they work for me now at 48. My picks for my two favorite books of all time are The Far County by Shute and And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie.

    I really regret that I didn't do more traveling when I was single. Luckily since my family is tied up with Boy Scouts I've had the chance to travel alone now, and I really like it. Don't get me wrong, I like traveling WITH people as well, but that feeling of being able to do whatever you want when you want is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have not read And Then There Were None! I borrowed it once from the library but didn't get to it in time. I'm going to go get it again, I think. My Mom is a die hard Christie fan and loves Poirot, both the books and the show!

      Being able to do what you want when you want IS priceless! It's good to have a mix though, as having someone to enjoy a meal with is also priceless!

      Delete
  2. Ok, I need to know more about the warm shower set up. They are strangers, correct? How do you arrange this? Is it a friend of a friend/family member kind of set up? Do tell!

    Dang, 25 books! You are going to have an epic reading year! I really want to read The Women. Hannah's books can be hit or miss for me but I definitely want to read that. I just need to be in the right mind set! You already know what I read in April but the stand out books were The Berry Pickers and The River We Remember. I am almost done with a romance that is what I would call a "romance plus" meaning it has a hefty non-romance-related plot. It's called The Other Side of Disappearing. It's not perfect - probably a 3.5 star read - but it was enjoyable. Next I am going to read a thriller for a change (thrillers haven't been appealing to me lately) - Everyone in my family has killed someone - which I think was a buzzy book last year since he has a new release out this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have Everyone in My Family on my shelf right now! It's up next after I finish another Stephen King book.

      I love the term Romance Plus as I don't mind a romance when it is not the sole focus of the book. So this is likely my type of romance novel. Although if you are giving it three and a half stars, I may pass.

      Delete
  3. I used to read Stephen King like it was my job. As soon as he released a new one, I was ON IT. Then I stopped reading him--somewhere along after The Dark Half or Needful Things. I got tired of bad endings and reading the same pat phrases. I loved his book On Writing, however, and used to recommend it to my Creative Writing students.

    I'm not sure I have a favourite author. Maggie O'Farrell writes gorgeously, but I'm not compelled to read all of her stuff. I read The Berry Pickers, but I found it unemotional and cold. I read so many mysteries and thrillers when I was young that I'm tired of that genre now. I read Monstrilio by Gerardo Samano Cordova and loved the premise and beautiful writing. Again, the ending was...weak. It felt workshopped. I'm starting The Bee Sting by Paul Murray, based on maya, a blogger's, suggestion. Oh, and I read Tom Lake, which was pretty good--it was an intricately woven story with a lot of nice details that found their place in the narrative by the end. Really well done. I think being a student of English lit with a concentration in Victorial novels made me need more layers in what I read. I expect to find/want to find symbolism, theme, motif--all that stuff. Contemporary fiction sometimes feels...plain to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved On Writing. I read most KH Kings horror back in the day and enjoyed them then, but have found his other genres to be a nice change! He is still a good writer.

      It's funny that you are trying to find symbolism from your books. I think I just want to be entertained! I actually do not enjoy character driven novels as much, as I also want there to be a point to the story! I thought Tom Lake was good but didn't love it much as many people did.

      Delete
    2. Yikes--just found my typo: "VictoriaN" novels, of course. Sigh.
      I like getting lost in a book and all its layers. I want there to be a character I can care about, along with a story that is interesting. AND really good writing that makes me appreciate the craft.
      I don't want much, do I? LOL

      Delete
  4. wooo! 25 books in one month? how do you do that? audiobook while you are biking? I haven't read as much lately but I'm really enjoying listening to sapiens and plan to listen to his next week too. It opened my mind about so many things.
    I enjoy solo travel which I do when I go for work trips, but can't do for long as I miss terribly my family. I like the solitude to reflect and rest and also enjoy good company, although I'm super picky who to travel with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listen to books while riding, or grocery shopping, or doing anything at the same time! I liked Sapiens and also and felt that it taught me a lot! I agree with you re being picky on who to travel with! It is nice to have someone who knows when you want solitude, but is also willing to both help plan, and sometimes let you take the lead. I haven't found many who check all of the boxes!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'm glad you liked The Breaking Wave! Your description of it was perfect. I'm not a huge fan of straight up thrillers- mysteries are my romance novel (there's some crossover there, so I enjoy a thriller with a strong mystery element.) I've never read any Stephen King! I don't like horror, but now that he has some non-horror I really should check them out.
    I do not get lonely when I travel by myself! As a matter of fact, i enjoy it. Of course I've never done a trip like you're doing. That is a long time to be alone, but as you pointed out you do have plenty of contact with other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, if you don't mind a little fantasy, one of my favorite King books is Eyes of the Dragon, which was published in 1987 but is NOT horror. I loved that book when I was younger. I also enjoyed his 11/23/63 which is about going back in time to try to stop the assassination of JFK. So yes, both have a bit of supernatural but none of them have Jack Nicholson or Cujo trying to kill you.

      I also enjoy a strong mystery element. Detective novels are one of my favorite genres. Did you ever read any Elizabeth George? She does detective novels based in London and they are a lot of fun. The two main DI's are a woman who comes from a lower class, and a man from a higher class and it is fun getting to know the characters as well as seeing "who done it."

      Delete
  6. I recently listened to Family Family and enjoyed it. I'm currently listening to Wellness, and I'm enjoying that one as well.

    I have never traveled solo other than business trips, but I think I would enjoy it. My BFF does it sometimes, her son is living in Ireland, so she'll go there, spend some time with him, and then jet off to Paris or London or something. She likes traveling with her family, but is absolutely comfortable alone and likes being able to do the things SHE wants to do, and how much cheaper it is to feed 1 person than 4, etc. She makes it sound pretty appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that you liked Family, Family. I really enjoyed This is How it Always Was and enjoyed how she brings possibly taboo subjects to light.

      It is definitely more cheap to only have one person than four, that is for sure. My aunt has four kids and I remember having a conversation with her about how I had gotten this deal to Hawaii and she should go snap it up, and how she had to explain to me that even a $400 deal was a lot of money when you have 6 people (plus food!!)

      Delete
  7. This is Daria. I’ve been on Holly since March. Just can’t seem to get into it. I am finally half way, and I think I’ll finish it. You are 100% right- he makes it very clear he is a democrat. Thank you for answering the question about feeling/not feeling alone. I think if I were to travel as much as you do, I would definitely struggle with loneliness. Back to King- different seasons was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite King book of all time was probably Eye of the Dragon. It has a fairytale element to it and of course, he always does have a dark side, but it is not horror.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoy Frieda McFadden. Her books aren't always hits for me, but they are usually pretty fast-paced and fun. I just listened to The Coworker and enjoyed it quite a bit.

    Hmm. While I don't think I'd call it "lonely," I don't think I would be able to be on a trip like yours alone because I'd get scared. I feel like I would constantly be worried about horror-movie type things and never be able to relax! But like you, I really enjoy solitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely McFadden has some books that are much better than others. I enjoyed the Coworker as well. I do think they become a little bit rote, but I actually don't mind that too much. It's no different than watching an episode of Star Trek; you know that the bad guy is going to wreak havok, but Kirk (or Picard or whoever) will win in the end. With McFadden, you get a twist, but it is very similar, but I am still entertained all the same.

      Delete
  9. My husband's book club is reading The Women and my husband is NOT looking forward to reading it. I'm waiting for him to read it (because he's probably going to have to buy the book since the wait is so long at the library) before I read it. I've heard such polarized reviews - seems like people either love it or hate it.

    I think the Trump presidency has inspired a lot of people who were otherwise non/a-political to be more outspoken. On both sides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to hear what you have heard of The Women from people who hated it. I did get annoyed with the main character at times, and you do kind of want her to buck up...however, then you realize that these kinds of feelings and issues were real, and you get a little compassion and can then appreciate her more.

      Delete
  10. Wow! 25 books in a month is very impressive! It sounds like you're having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am normally riding for about 5-8 hours a day and I need something to take my mind off things! It is easy to read a book a day when they are normally about 10 hours and I listen at 1.8x speed!

      Delete
  11. 25 books! That's crazy. But it makes sense that you have more time for reading right now, especially since you're probably zipping through audiobooks. I've yet to read a Freida McFadden thriller but I really want to! I have The Housemaid on my shelf.

    I think I would get lonely if I traveled solo. I live alone and work from home, so I already spend a LOT of my time by myself. It's nice to be with someone when I'm traveling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McFadden books can start to blur together, but they are entertaining! Like I said, thrillers are my romance, so I don't really mind if they kind of all have a similar plot or the endings are similar, or even if the twist is not that great. I just need a few hours of entertainment!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!