7.24.2023

The Joke Is On Me: Traveler's Checks

The first time I traveled abroad, I went equipped with several hundreds of dollars worth of traveler's checks. In case you have no idea what I am talking about, or forgot about these (it has been a while!) they are a check that you pay cash for and when you get them from the bank, you sign them once. Then when you want to exchange money, you give the teller in a foreign country the check, you countersign and date and they give you foreign currency in exchange. If I recall, they were a little safer than cash because they had a serial number so if you lost one or it got stolen, you may have been able to get your money back. I think this is true. 

Anyway, I did not use all of my travelers checks and I came back to the US and put them somewhere safe and then proceeded to move a few times, travel for work, move again and travel more until finally I bought my house and unpacked some boxes that had been sitting in storage for well over a dozen years and guess what I found? Two hundred dollars worth of travelers checks. So I put them in the "paperwork that needs attention eventually" pile and they sat there for about seven more years. I would look at them from time to time and think that I should probably just take them to the bank, but I was not in a rush, since they were issued by my bank where I still bank and hey, they are the equivalent of cash, right? 

Finally I decided to cross some of those long standing tasks off my eight year old to do list (there are still some things on it. I am looking at you, front yard drip system) and I put the checks in my purse with the intention of taking them into the bank as soon as I had the chance. First I tried the bank near my house, which I found out had been closed down about six months ago, which goes to show how often I go to the bank. Then I decided to take the checks to work with me with the intention of taking a lunch break and finally depositing them. You are probably not surprised to hear that they sat in my purse for another week before I finally made my way down to the bank. By the way, do you know how hard it is to find an actual bank that you can walk inside of and talk to a person in San Francisco/Oakland? It is hard. There are tons of ATMs but an actual person is rare! However, I had to take these to an real human, as they had to be countersigned in front of a person in order to be deposited. 

The first time I went down and got in line (where there were no people) I was told by the teller that their systems were down and they could not do any transactions. I felt like maybe someone was plotting against me. I went back the next day and wonder of wonder, the systems were working, the line was short and I was at the teller before you knew it. And then I deposited the checks and walked away whistling Dixie. As Borat would say, this story is NOT true. First of all, the teller had never seen a travelers check. No joke. Never. So she had to get her coworker to come over and explain the process. Then she had me countersign them. 

Then she looked at the two signatures and said that they did not match. I did not disagree with her. One was signed when I was not even legally allowed to drink yet and one was signed....a few...years...or decades....later. My signature is not the same as it was. I used to perfectly swoop every letter and write in perfect cursive; now my signature looks like I am a harried MD with a hot date. So she brought the coworker over again and the coworker said that they could not take the checks. I asked if they could look up the serial number and then verify it against my ID and she said that they do not keep records that long. She finally said that she would check my signature on file and would compare that. Unfortunately, the signature on file (from when I opened my account, which was opened before I could legally vote, or maybe even before I could drive) also did not match. 

She went into this big spiel about how she is doing this for my protection and I was thinking in my head, "lady, I work in finance; you are using MY LINE!" and I made affirmations about how I totally and completely understand, I work in the same industry, I have to tell people the same thing all of the time etc. We finally got around to a point where she said that she would attempt to deposit them if I crossed off and initialed the co-signature I had just done and then signed again but tried to copy the original one, BUT she was not making any guarantees that it would go through, she said. I thanked her profusely, signed again and left the building. 

I know that $200 is not chump change, and I know that I was an idiot and I should not have waited so long to deposit the checks and I know that now I need to go into the bank to sign a new signature card because my signature has changed a lot from the time I was 14. I also really had no expectations that they would get successfully deposited. However, imagine my surprise and glee when the next day I saw that I was $200 richer! 

Verdict: Don't be an idiot. Deposit your checks on time. BUT if you happen to be an idiot, but things end up working out in the end anyway, enjoy the small victories, because they are awfully sweet. 

Have you ever done something silly like this? If so, what was the outcome? Did you end up being successful in the end? 

26 comments:

  1. Kyria, I had to laugh at this story! This is SO TOTALLY something I would do -- put off or forget about a task for years or decades and then hope against hope it would all work out. I am so glad the checks cleared and you successfully completed this task!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so embarrassing that I had to share it! I mean, it probably should have been titled #hoarder but that is a story for another day! I am VERY glad to finally scratch it off my to do list!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha! Eight year old to do list! That's amazing. This story is gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? So you don't also have an eight year old to do list? I consider myself fairly organized but clearly there are some things that keep getting moved back to the next month's list over and over. I definitely suffer from analysis paralysis but once I get the lead out, I can really knock some things off that list! :)

      Delete
  3. The closest thing that I have to this is an old 401k that I need to roll over. I left it for so long that it was rolled over into an IRA on my behalf, and sitting in a super low interest money market for, you know, about 15 years now. It's only $1,400 so fair enough that it's not at the top of my list, but if I had just taken the trouble to roll it over, it could have been earning money for me instead of just sitting there. In 2019 I took a stab at rolling it over, but it had been so long that the bank made me do long identity verification thingy. At some point they dropped the ball and I was just too busy/tired/bored out of my mind/whatever to follow up. All of which is to say - you're with friends here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well I can help you with this one! I don't know what money market fund it is in, but at the very least you should buy a higher yielding one even if you are just going to leave it there to sit! The default one is often about 0.10% whereas you can get 4% - 5% if you just move it into a different fund! It's not even that hard; I swear! You can email me if you have questions :)

      Delete
    2. Ugh, Birchie, thanks for the reminder. I have an old 403b that I never rolled over because they made it so complicated... and I still need/want to do that.

      Delete
  4. i remember those!! i think I used it when I went to Europe when I was 19. It was a hassle to be honest but at that time I didn't credit card so that was relative "safer" than cash. I was robbed on our first days in Spain, so that did save some cash. I am usually good at depositing checks when I get them. Recently I bought a package of spa vouchers and didn't realize they have expiration date. When I thought about using them they were expired. Dah..... how stupid I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that is exactly the same for me. I think I did have a credit card but of course was always told not to use it except for emergencies, so I had the travelers checks! Also regarding your spa certificate, I have totally done that. I get one night free hotel stay per year with one of my credit cards and I almost always wait until the last minute to use it and then I am scrambling to book a trip even though I could have used it before! Silly...

      Delete
    2. Yup, that is exactly the same for me. I think I did have a credit card but of course was always told not to use it except for emergencies, so I had the travelers checks! Also regarding your spa certificate, I have totally done that. I get one night free hotel stay per year with one of my credit cards and I almost always wait until the last minute to use it and then I am scrambling to book a trip even though I could have used it before! Silly...

      Delete
  5. This story is SO good (full of so many twists and turns and I legit didn't know how it was going to end - so yay for a happy conclusion).
    I've heard of traveler's cheques but never used one; I basically didn't travel at all until the last decade and now we get a small amount of local currency (useful for tips/buying art off local artists etc) and use our CC for the rest! I feel like CC companies aren't as sensitive to travel anymore. It used to be we always called in advance to let them know if we were going somewhere, but now we don't after they told us things like that don't get flagged in the same way now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually never called my CC company to tell them I was going to be traveling, although I have been told that I should, and I have never had an issue! And I've done some trips where I was in Spain, then Egypt then Greece etc. within a couple of weeks of each other, but still no worries! On the flip side, I have heard horror stories of people getting their card shut down while they are traveling.

      Delete
  6. Oh this is funny- I had forgotten all about travelers checks! I'm enjoying this "looking back" series. And, I can see why you didn't just take them to the bank right away- apparently going to an actual bank with a teller isn't that easy (it is where I live, though- as a matter of fact I'm going there today to get something notarized.) Anyway, hooray! You're $200 richer, an "unexpected" windfall. You should do something fun with that money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used them for a short time, maybe just the one first trip, and probably only because that is what my parents told me to do. I probably also had the money left over because I ended up using my ATM card more than expected, although I cannot really remember! I SHOULD do something fun with it; I have been wanting to buy a new camera, but have been holding off and waiting for the prices to go down, but maybe I will use that money for a new fun toy! Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  7. LOL! I don't know that I've ever had travelers checks. I think you're right that at one time they were considered the more secure option. I still write checks for some things and it always makes me feel old! I would be guilty of putting them in a file and thinking I'll get to that later... and then 8 years goes by! That's awesome that they were deposited! I see new running shoes in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still write checks! That is funny. I did actually still write a check to my property tax collector every year but they FINALLY offered an electronic check option about three years ago and I have not written a check since. However, I do still receive checks, but it is so easy to just deposit them via mobile deposit, so I never go to the actual bank any more! Thanks for the suggestion of running shoes; I think I will treat myself to something nice! :)

      PS I was in line at Safeway and the lady in front of me was writing a check and it took FOREVER! I always seem to get in "that" line! What do you still write checks for?

      Delete
  8. I am currently sitting on $300 worth of money orders that were returned to me from the Russian embassy when the Russo-Ukrainian war started and we couldn't travel. The money is for visa fee for the kids... According to USPS that certify the money orders, they don't expire. My hope is that next year my kids can get visas and we can go see family in Russia. But... Russia just bombed yet another city so who knows..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are probably more diligent than I am, but you may want to deposit them back in your bank for the time being. It was the thought that I may use them soon that kept me from putting them back in the bank in the first place and then a dozen years went by before I knew it!

      The situation in Russia is unfortunate. I hope that you are able to go soon, but the way things are looking right now, it may be longer than you hoped.

      Delete
  9. This is Lisa. This is too funny. I think I used travelers checks but I am not sure! I am glad the money was eventually credited to your account! What a headache. It is crazy about how hard it is to find a bank with an actual person to talk to. What a world we live in. I think we have several options in Minneapolis luckily but I haven’t been to the bank in years!! Phil has had to go in, though, but I can’t remember what for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to think and I don't think I have been inside a bank in years either. I definitely have used the ATM a couple of times, but ironically I believe it was to deposit cash because sometimes when we went to dinner I would pay and people would give me cash and then I would end up with too much cash...so I went and put it in the bank. However, even those were probably only two times in the last three or five years. I don't even think I went to the ATM the last time I went to Europe, since I had some cash left over from my prior trip and I pretty much either booked things online or paid with my credit card. Crazy how different it is now versus the first time I traveled abroad.

      Delete
  10. Oh, what a story, Kyria! Like Elisabeth said, it was filled with twists and turns and I didn't know how it was going to turn out! But hooray for being $200 richer - man, I would have cashed that check so fast when I got home, haha. $200 is a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose I should spend it since it is "found money" but I put it in my savings account, like I usually do! I definitely need a couple of new things (a good rain jacket) that I want to be sure to get a real quality one, so I will eventually spend that money, but I am not quite ready yet!

      Delete
  11. Whew! I'm glad this story had a happy ending! I used to work in a big hotel in San Francisco, and we would cash travelers checks for hotel guests. I don't think I ever had one like yours, where it had been so long that the signature had changed! Hilarious. The only time I remember using them was on our honeymoon in 1993. I remember we had to go to the American Express office in Paris to get francs to buy a fancy dinner one night. I don't think our little hotel cashed them, because they were American. It's been awhile, though, so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I don't really remember what I did to cash them (I was also in France)! I guess I must have gone to a bank, but I really can't remember. That was in 1999, so it was a long time ago!

      Delete
  12. Dude my signature will never match anywhere. I sign super fast and barely and maybe not all the time actually write all the letters because it's a scrawl. Seriously an ID that matches you should be king.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it has not really been a problem, but I guess it isn't a problem until it is and then it would be a huge pain in the butt not to be able to access money or something like that. I guess we have gotten so used to all of the electronic stuff that we forget about paper signatures etc.!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!