9.27.2011

Women Run The Cities: Part I

Last weekend I went to visit a fellow blogger, Lisa, who lives in Minneapolis. We had a great time walking around the city, over the bridges, back over the bridges, under the bridges, over the river and through the woods.

I knew I would like Lisa (as if I had had any doubts) when she asked if I wanted an apple. When I said yes, she said, "let me grab the apple slicer". I was thinking, "Apple slicer? Isn't that called a KNIFE?" (this girl is batty, people) And then.... VOILA!

Awesome. The girl has gadgets. Everyone needs one of these! 
P.S. This is a Honeycrisp apple, which is native to MN. 


 Lisa, who had a bit of a cold, was still an awesome host. She took me all over the city. First we went to the Guthrie for a view of the Stone Arch Bridge. Good name, huh? I guess somebody just called it like they saw it!


Here we are. Yes we color coordinated on purpose! If you ever need someone who knows how to put the self timer on the camera and get a photo of practically nothing, I am your man. The stone arch bridge is somewhere behind that bannister.


We went to the farmers market, where they had lots of fun veggies. We also got to see a cooking demonstration while sitting in the sun (it was a chilly 44ish when we were outside) drinking coffee. Now THAT is my kind of day.


I had to get a scone from the best place in MN to buy pastries. This was what Lisa said many people had told her, but she didn't know firsthand, since she can't have gluten. Yum! I could have had one of each of these pastries!


And then we went and bought some bratwurst for lunch from Kramarczuk's.  We picked a jalapeno and cheese brat and a wild rice (MN specialty) brat. We cooked those up and served them with a salad and rosemary potatoes. Lisa made sure I didn't go hungry while staying with her.


I wanted to do this, which is to ride around the city drinking and pedaling. But we had other things to do. 


Like...take a walk next to the river. 

And eat Gelato.

We also spent time walking over the Stone Arch Bridge, taking photos, walking around downtown, drinking coffee, eating guacamole and browsing the bookstore. 

So yes, as you can see, we did the things I love most: walking, taking in the sights and, most importantly... EATING. Lisa must have named another half dozen restaurants that I will need to go to next time I come to visit. But there is always too little time and too much to do!

Lisa was a great host and we had a great time. Now I'm trying to convince her (and anyone else who wants) to come to San Francisco so I can return the favor. It sure is fun going to visit people and it's nice to have a local to show you around! 

I wasn't just there to stuff my face though. Tune in on Friday when I talk about the 10 mile race that we ran on Sunday!

What did you do this weekend? Have you been to Minneapolis? Have you ever crossed the Mississippi on foot?

6 comments:

  1. All that food looks so yummy! Beautiful pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Lisa a wonderful host?! I'm hosting her in Des Moines in a couple months and I am so nervous I won't live up to her! She was so gracious and thoughtful!
    I'm glad you had such a good time, I love Minneapolis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I would love to meet up with some fellow bloggers one day. Looks like ya'll had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh this post made me miss Minneapolis. I had the BEST time when I went to visit Lisa in August and absolutely fell in love with the city! The temperature sure dropped a lot in the month between my visit and yours though, I was in dresses, shorts and t-shirts the whole time I was visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recap!! I love your photos. I am glad you enjoyed my city. I will def take you up on your offer to be my tour guide as I would love to explore San francisco!!

    I had so much fun hosting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent a week in Minneapolis a few years ago and I loved it. Such a great city!

    Looks like you had a lot of fun. It's so great to meet up with fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!