10.02.2017

Looking Back: September

For the first couple of weeks in September I was traveling, and then the remaining weekends were spent doing weekend trips, so I was barely home all month! Here are how the totals added up:

Running: A lot of my running miles this month were due to the fact that I hiked the Kungsleden, a long distance trail in Sweden, and I am counting those miles! I ended up running 336 miles, 225 of which were due to the Kungsleden. In addition, I completed 36.4 miles on the bike, bringing my total to 177 miles out of my goal of 180 miles. I am slacking a bit on the Yoga front, and only did one session, out of my goal of 4 times per month.

Teusajaure Lake, along the Kungsleden, Sweden

Reading: Once again, I did not read as much as I thought I would, as I was on vacation for the better part of the month. However, as it was in August, I did a lot of hiking and by the end of the day on these days, I was pretty tired and reading was not really a priority. However, I ended up reading eight books and most of them were pretty good! Here they are, in order of preference (audio books are in italics).

Born a Crime****
The Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper****
The Kitchen House****
A Man Called Ove****
The Nix****
Another Brooklyn***
Do Not Say We Have Nothing***
The Association of Small Bombs**

Travel: As stated above, for my yearly vacation this year I went to above the Arctic Circle in Sweden, where I hiked the Kungsleden trail. In addition, I spent a couple of days in Stockholm, running and exploring and hanging out. It was kind of funny to be in the land of people who look just like me, as most of my travels have been to places where I tend to stick out like a sore thumb!  I also went to Santa Cruz for a day at the beach with the folks, Napa for some wine tasting with friends, and to Tahoe for a weekend in the mountains! This was definitely a "last hurrah of summer" month and as you can see, I am trying to make the most of the good weather while it lasts!

Lake Aloha, South Lake Tahoe, CA

Lake Merritt, Oakland, CA

Hagaparken Lake, Stockholm, Sweden


Etc.: The garden went a bit wild while I was on vacation and the zuchinnis are so hard they will probably last in my compost for several years. In addition, I have about 4 zillion tomatoes, but have not been home long enough to can them yet! That is definitely something I need to get a move on with, as I definitely do not want them to go to waste! I also had a few figs (eaten!) and many cucumbers and CORN! Hurray for corn. It was so sweet and good and fresh!

Get in my belly!


What did you do this September? What is your favorite vacation activity? Do you have any good recent book recommendations?

1 comment:

  1. I'm envious of all of your tomatoes! I did not get enough to can and didn't get around to finding a farm to buy a bulk amount from. But oh well. I have lots and lots of tomatillos. I've been roasting them and pureeing them this summer/fall and will make a huge batch of salsa verde when the growing season is over which is probably a couple of weeks away.

    Dang you packed a lot into September! Sounds like you had lots of fun but I'm kind of exhausted just thinking about all you did! September was a fun month for me as I hosted my sister for the weekend and we had Julia Child night mid-month. I read 7 books, my favorites were Beartown and Refugee. I'm impressed that you read 8 books but thought you didn't read all that much! You are a machine!!

    My favorite vacation activity is hiking and just walking around and taking in the sights! I also love going for bike rides when traveling as you can see so much more ground than you can on foot. That said, I haven't biked on a vacation in quite awhile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!