2.01.2016

Looking Back: January

Well here we are, starting another month again. I know February is going to fly by, even though it's a leap year this year! January was also quite quick, even though I had a couple of relaxing days at home. Of course, those also go by fast as well! Let's see what happened this month.

Running: In January I ended up running 173 miles and climbing 24,000 ft. This is my highest mileage month since May of last year, when I had two ultra races and one trip to Yosemite. This means that so far I am on track to make my goal of 2000 miles and 250,000 feet. In addition to that, I had 35 biking miles, which is approximately two and a half times per week of bike commuting (which goes along with my 2016 goal).  I also had 6.5 miles of hiking  and no strength workouts (which is a fail on my once per week goal).

Reading: I guess that instead of doing my strength workouts, I read! This month I read 8 books. The best five were probably the following:

The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny
Circling the Sun by Paula McLain
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alere Saenz
The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercranz

Travel: I actually had a month of weekends close to home with lots of local activities this month! It was a good month of family and friends and lots of running. I even had one weekend where I tweaked my back and stayed home and relaxed / did nothing all weekend. Other than that, I have been getting some small things done around the house, working on my yearly purge and trying to enjoy this time while I can. I am glad to have this chance to relax, as activities each month start to ramp up soon! My February weekends are already all booked up.

What did you do in January? Which months are the calmest/busiest for you? 

7 comments:

  1. Jodi Piccoult writes such good books and the twist is always killer! Jan and Feb are nice calm months.. and after that it gets busy with calving starting and life doesn't seem to slow down until August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you liked The Storyteller since that is one that I recommended to you, I think! I also liked Circling the Sun and the Dante book - I read both of those last year. I read 9 books in January so it was a heavy reading month for me! I only ran 47 miles, though. January was not a great month for me due to my RA flare and cold/sinus infection. I think February will be much better since it includes a trip to Mexico, my birthday, and a weekend visit to my parents' lake home!

    Jan/Feb tend to be the calmest months for me as everyone is in hibernation mode in this part of the country so I have less plans. The 2nd half of the year is always busiest for me as I cram as much into the summer and fall months as I can since it's so nice here. And then Nov/Dec are busy with holiday stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Jodi Picoult!!! I find with her books that I just gobble them up in about 2 days!!! Love her! Fall is always amazingly busy for me! With school starting again and about 10 birthdays it is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice January mileage, especially considering you had a tweaked back in the mix too! You are the second or third person just this week to mention _Circling the Sun_ so I might need to put it on my list. In January, I started another new academic term, joined the Alaska chapter of TNT, and did a bit of writing and reading (I think I read four books for fun this month and many more for work/research).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to read more Jodi Piccoult. I'm almost finished with Nineteen Minutes, which is only the first of her books I've read. I really like her writing style and need to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang girl, 173 miles. That's awesome! My goals are much more moderate than yours!

    I haven't read any of the books that you recommended - maybe I should put them on my to-read list :)

    I didn't do much in January, I met my goal of running 36 miles (that's the minimum I want to hit to beat my annual mileage from 2015) and otherwise we had a lot of "nesting" going on in our new house (or wait, do you only use nesting when you're expecting? I am not!). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Post is very informative,It helped me with great information so I really believe you will do much better in the future.
    be a travel agent

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!