7.03.2012

An Unmarked Grave

I have read several books about World War II, but not as many that are set during World War I. That is why I was excited to read this one! What did I think? Read on. 

An Unmarked Grave by Charles Todd

Set in 1918 in both France and England during World War I, an English nurse working in a French hospital sees something that she shouldn't. During the time of the Spanish Influenza, a patient in the pile of the deceased seems to have died of causes that seem a bit suspicious.

The nurse, Bess Crawford, takes it upon herself to find out the details of this man's death. In the process, she encounters danger and intrigue and suffers attacks on her very life.

I am a sucker for a good murder mystery. My go to beach read is something with murder, suspense and danger. This book did not disappoint. The authors hook you from the very beginning, when Bess discovers the body while working at a clinic in France. Throughout the story, you are always kept guessing as to who the killer is and what their motive could be.

The characters, who consist of Bess, her family and a couple of male friends and officers, are all very likable and the book had a sense of realism to it, which I prefer. There is nothing I dislike more than a book that is supposed to portray real life but when you are finished with it you are left thinking, "that couldn't happen!" This book did not leave me with that bad taste in my mouth. I finished it in a couple of days because I had to see who the killer was! The authors also added in some facts about the war, the enemy lines and the countries (have you ever heard of the Cheddar Gorge?), which always makes me like a book more, as I feel like I am learning something while I am being entertained.

I rate this book a 3 out of 5 on Goodreads. I liked it! I would definitely read another book by these authors (it is a mother and son pair).

For other tour dates, go to the TLC Book Tours website. For more information, go to the authors' website and their Facebook page. 

Disclaimer: I was given a complimentary copy of this book by TLC Book Tours. I was not compensated for this review. All opinions expressed are my own.


Have you ever heard of/been to the Cheddar Gorge? What is your favorite genre of book? Have you read many books about WWI?

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great book - I will check it out! I have never heard of cheddar gorge so that answers your question about whether I've been there!!

    My factories genre of books is either travel memoirs or historical fiction set during WWII!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love a good murder mystery! This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh this sounds like a good summer book. I'm adding it to my library request list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good one. I'm putting it on my list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a book I'd be interested in. I'm reading one set in WWII right now- Night Sky by Clare Francis. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love learning new things through historical fiction!

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really good. I haven't read anything about WW1.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!