9.18.2023

Buses, Boats and Bicycles

Normally each year I pick a fun international destination and spend a couple of weeks there for my annual vacation. This year, I decided to stay local and instead of eating my way through France, I opted to instead torture myself for two weeks by pedaling Bob (the mountain bike) across the state of Washington. Not only that, but I wanted to do it on dirt, so it was not a straight shot. Instead I wound my way around the state and up and down some mountains before getting to the end. After that, I still had to get back to my car, so the adventure was not done. Then I was like John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles, except my adventure was Buses, Boats and Bicycles. 

The adventure started by driving from California to the Olympic Peninsula and the tiny town of Forks, Washington. This may be familiar to you if you are a Twilight fan, as it is the setting that the author used for the series, and also one of the rainiest places in the US, according to Wiki. Luckily it did not rain when I was there, nor did I see any vampires. I parked my car there and got a ride to La Push, which has the westernmost zip code in the contiguous US, and also many beautiful beaches. As is customary, I dipped my back tire in the water and then started my journey. 

Sign outside of Forks, WA

I will not bore those of you who don't care much for a play by play of my entire bikepacking trip. However, there were a few highlights that I think everyone can appreciate! 

The Olympic Peninsula is beautiful. There are huge ocean beaches with enormous waves that remind me of the crashing waves of the Pacific where I live, but that doesn't make them any less intriguing. I could sit and watch them for hours! There are also tons of hiking trails, many tiny towns where you can get a coffee or a breakfast, and lots of places to stop and just take in the view. 

The lovely Pacific coast

Bob hanging out near Port Angeles

But the thing I utilized the most was the Olympic Discovery Trail. This is a mostly flattish bike trail that goes all the way from La Push to Port Townsend, which I think is about 135 miles. Right now, some sections are on the road, but you could easily find a 20 mile stretch that is mostly bike paths and quiet streets. There were a ton of blackberries along the sides and I think I spent more time eating them than I did riding. The other highlight was an alternative section called the Olympic Adventure Trail, which was a really smooth and fun single-track section that I really enjoyed, especially when it started raining and the canopy kept me halfway dry! They have a great set of maps on their website that you can even download to your phone and get turn by turn directions if you want. 

Olympic Discovery Trail near Forks

Bob and the ODT near Lake Crescent

The next fun thing was taking the ferry across the Puget Sound. Did you know that if you do not have a vehicle, riding the ferries eastbound is free? You have to pay $10 for the westbound trip but unless you have a car, you only pay one way! I have taken the ferries in the San Juans before, but I have never done it with a bike, so that was a first for me! It's quite exciting to zip in (and out!) before all of the cars come rushing up behind you and you have to get your bike out of the way and tied up before they run you over. Also, just like in San Francisco, taking the commuter ferry is a great way to see the bay (or the sound in this case) without paying for an expensive "bay cruise." For $10 I got to see the Seattle skyline and watch the sailboats in the Puget Sound. I call that a win! 

View of Seattle from the ferry

I also rode for a long time on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail, which I started on in the town of Carnation, which is east of Seattle. It goes along the Snoqualmie River into the mountain towns of Snoqualmie and North Bend. This was a steady uphill but it was shaded and cool and since it was an old rail trail, it was not very steep. I would really recommend going there; you can camp at the campground near Carnation and ride east to North Bend and get a hamburger at Twede's cafe. For those of you who are fans of the show Twin Peaks, this is the location of the famous cherry pie diner. I found it a bit kitschy of course, but I got a seat right away, my food came out fast, and they had bottomless French fries, so yay! After gorging yourself on fries, you have a downhill ride back to your camp. By the time you get back you will be ready for a swim in the river right next to your campsite! For me there is nothing better than a swim in the river on a hot day. 

Snoqualmie Valley Trail

Twede's Cafe in North Bend

Last but not least, the Snoqualmie Valley Trail links up to the John Wayne Trail, now known as the Palouse to Cascades trail. This is also a rail trail that has been converted to a bike trail, and is again all dirt and slightly uphill for the first 20 miles. I ended up loosely following this trail almost all the way to the Idaho border. The highlight of the first section of this trail is a more than two mile ride through the Snoqualmie tunnel! If you do not want to ride all the way up the hill from the start, you can also start at the town of Hyak and then it is less than a mile from the tunnel from there. It was very dark and kind of damp and chilly but pretty fun and was a new experience for me! We used to run through the train tunnels when we were kids; it was such a thrill to see if we could get through before a train came. I don't think the Snoqualmie tunnel had that same element of danger, but it was eerie being alone in the dark for several minutes, and you literally cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Snoqualmie Pass Tunnel

Camping along the PTCT with the Enchantments in the background

In the end, it was a grand adventure! There were many hard days; I rode my longest ride ever so far (80 miles) in one day, and one day it was about 100 degrees out and of course this was in eastern Washington where there are no trees, so I think I baked my brain a little bit that day. However, I rewarded myself with a lot of ice cream when I could, and had fun seeing the small towns (and I do mean small! One was about 500 people) and farmland along the way. I saw a lot of dead animals, banana peels and trash, specifically aluminum cans. On one stretch of highway, I counted over 100 cans in a one mile stretch!! I ended up getting to Idaho via Spokane, where I then took my buses, boats and bikes back to my car before driving home. 

This photo was taken on the hottest day

Made it to the border!

Hottest temperature:     100 degrees
Longest day (miles):      80 miles
Total elevation gain:      31,784 feet
Total mileage:                688 miles

Have you ever been to Washington state? If so, what is your favorite place/thing to do there? Are there any fun bike paths or rail trails where you live? What did you do for your vacation this year? 

23 comments:

  1. Wow, how adventurous and beautiful! Was this itinerary like a standard "bike trip" itinerary in that area, or did you just put it all together yourself? Were these all actual camping spots designed for people on the bike trail? Or did you just pop your tent random placecs? haha. I have never been to Washington State. The whole Pacific NW region is an area we've yet to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The route was cobbled together using a few websites, a trail app and Google maps! There were some areas with designated camping and I also wild camped and stayed in motels when neither were available. I even stayed in the city park at two towns!

      You should definitely check on the PNW, it is beautiful. But if you haven't yet been to the Bay Area or Yosemite, put us on your list first!

      Delete
    2. I have been to San Francisco twice, and Yosemite once- but we just spent a day at Yosemite while in SF visiting my husband's cousin. So we didn't really see it all "properly"- just really did one long hike, which was beautiful!

      There is a cool bike trail in Wisconsin called the Elroy-Sparta bike trail that also used to be an old railroad track and has I think 3-4 long tunnels you have to walk through. It's super fun- we used to ride it when I was a kid and I LOVED it. We'd pack flashlights and my dad would always suddenly do this big spooky evil laugh when we were about halfway through which would echo through the tunnel... hahaha. I've been thinking about driving up there sometime this fall, since it's been a while. If you ever happen to be in WI, you should check it out! It's very pretty and classic Midwest farm scenes all throughout.

      Delete
  2. What a FUN ADVENTURE!!! I've never been to Washington state, but now I want to go and do everything you did. It sounds incredible and I can't think of a better way to spend a vacation (this sounds way more fun to me than France, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun. You should definitely head our way and come and do some or all of it. I guess once you need a break from ultra this can be next! The PNW is a great place to visit, especially in the summer when it's usually not stifling and hot! There is just so much to do both indoors and out too!

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! I've never been to Washington, but it's on my list. I read a book set on Puget sound once, so that's also on my list. At least I got experience with taking bikes on ferries this summer when I did my Lake Erie Island adventure;-)

    I don't know if I would have been up for the Snoqualmie Tunnel. Part of me is fascinated, but I think I would have freaked out in the middle of it when it was dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tunnel is a little long but there are other shorter ones if being that long in the dark is not your cup of tea! You and Bikkie (?) would love it!

      Puget Sound is great and I know you would like it. It is beautiful, there are beaches and kayaking and so much green space, but then you have great restaurants and laid back coffeeshops and many, many breweries. It's just an overall good vibe. Oh, did I mention good weather!?

      Delete
  4. What an incredible trip!!! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lady! Thanks! You know me; it's not a successful vacation until I'm nice and tired!

      Delete
  5. Wow! What an adventure. And I absolutely LOVE your custom of dipping your back tire in the water at the start of the journey.

    Everything looks gorgeous, though those hot temperatures don't sound appealing on a bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hot day was brutal, I won't lie. But I got through it and there was ice cream, so... silver lining! I think these types of adventures remind me that I'm resilient and strong, and we all need that reminder at times!

      Delete
  6. This looks so fun! An 80 mile day is a very long day. It's too bad about all the litter though. That kind of thing makes me sad. I've been to Washington several times but have never biked through it, so I think that sounds very cool. Washington is such a neat state with so many different climate zones. Like Spokane is so different from Seattle! Great photos, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is too bad about the litter! You know the worst part is (1) a lot of it was old, like as in the cans were an older style logo or were broken down quite a lot, so I assume that some areas had not been cleaned in a long time, and (2) there were Adopt a Highway signs, which I thought meant that these groups came out and cleaned their section (!?) but maybe that is not true?

      Spokane is SO DIFFERENT from Seattle. To be honest, I did not love Spokane; it seemed a bit run down and there were a lot of vagrants mulling about. It reminded me a bit of the gaslight area (or maybe Hawthorne) of Vancouver, where you feel like you have to look over your shoulder a lot when you are walking around.

      Delete
  7. what a great adventure, I've never done something like this. maybe I'll try when kids go to college. 80 miles sounds a lot! how Long does It take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you should definitely try it; it is a lot of fun. For my trip, it was mostly dirt, which is slower, and hills, which...ditto, so my average pace was only about 7 or 8 mph! So that 80 mile day took me about 10 hours! I think the fast cyclists can go like 20 mph and I know that if it is flatter and/or more paved I can usually do 10-13 mph on average. I rode to my brother's house which is about 75 miles from me and it took me about 7 hours and that is with stop lights and bathroom stops and photos etc.

      Delete
  8. This feels like a very Kyria way to vacation! I'm glad it was a successful and fun adventure for you. What an interesting way to see Washington! I've never been, but have been dying to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got that right; it is right up my alley. You should definitely visit; it is a wonderful place with so much to do and usually it is not as cold (on the coast) as some of the other places in the US in the winter, so you can even go on the off season! A long weekend in Seattle with coffee and wine and wandering (and kayaking and beer and great brunches) is a great first bite!

      Delete
  9. What a cool trip! I bet your butt was sore after that 80 mile day! I am not conditioned to ride a bike for long stretches so was kind of sore around our bike ride to/from Banff. It's a great way to see the sites, though. You can stop and take pictures more easily than if you are in a car. And you are experiencing the sites more so because you are out in the elements instead of in a cozy air conditioned car!

    My first time in Seattle was during my road trip from Vancouver down to Portland for the marathon in 2010. We spent a night in Portland and then stopped at Squonalmie (sp?) Falls on the way to Portland. I was in Seattle another time as part of my trip to the Sunshine Coast of BC for Amber's wedding. But I haven't really done the state justice. I've seen more of Oregon since we went to Bend back before we got married. I'd love to go back someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snoqualmie falls! Yes. That is kind of where I biked through and it is a beautiful area for sure (that is where the big tunnel and the pie diner are near). You should go back and I would suggest the Olympic Peninsula. For a family, it is a little more versatile than say the mountains, but it still has hiking and camping and biking and oceans and even motels if you don't want to rough it! From Port Angeles you can also take the ferry to Vancouver Island which maybe is what you did to get to Tofino? Anyway, I can't say enough good things about it (PS I went to North Cascade park last year for some hiking and that area is stunning but probably not as exciting for kids and/or non-hikers).

      Delete
  10. I love this adventure! My brother lives in Seattle and does loads of adventures there - I think that's why he chose to live there. We did a gorgeous hike from La Push to ?? other beach once. We camped overnight on the coast and it was awesome. I would love to do a cycling adventure there someday. It's such a gorgeous state. Thanks for the great photos so I can live a bit vicariously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love the PNW as well. I have been there a lot and can I just say that I think it has only rained once or twice? This whole thing about them always being rainy is a farce! No but really, it is such a perfect location, with mountains and ocean and lots of interesting food and people. I have considered moving to WA when I can, as they also have no state sales tax! Win win!

      There is definitely a few trails along the coast near La Push and I will have to check them out next time I do a backpacking trip. There are just so many things to do and so little time...I actually went to WA last year for a week and hiked the Enchantments and the PCT and had a blast there too!

      Delete
  11. What a cool trip, Kyria. And you went all by yourself? You're badass. Thanks for taking us along. The photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks San! Buses, Boats, Bicycles and Badassery! I did two weeklong trips with a friend and had a great time but was ready for some solo travel. I really enjoy it most of the time, although of course it is sometimes trying. However, I always learn something new about myself when I travel alone!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!