6.02.2014

A Day In The Life

It annoys me when people who have not posted in a while start of a post by saying, "I know I haven't posted in a while, but..." or "it's been so long since my last post". It should be obvious if people are paying attention, but most likely, not as many people noticed as you hoped/thought. So I am not going to do that.

Having said that, I feel like every time I think about writing a post, the enormity of what has happened since my last post makes me hesitant. What do I even talk about? A lot has happened. Do I recap it? Do I just skip it and jump to the present? Where do I even start? I feel like in the past few months, a lot of other things have taken over my life, and now posting does not seem as important. Don't get me wrong; I WANT to post. I want to have things to post about. To be honest though, although I am busy, I am not very interesting lately, and my brain is pretty much useless. Therefore, that is why I am going to do a quick "day in the life" post, so years later when I look back, I can remember what a busy/trying/exciting/crazy time this was.

4:21 am: The alarm goes off. Sometimes I hit snooze and am reminded again in 5 minutes how tired I am and how much I do not want to get out of bed.  Usually I just get up. Why prolong the inevitable?

4:22 am - 5:10 am: Shower, eat a bowl of cereal, down a cup of coffee, and put on a pair of black pants and some sort of top. Study for about 15 - 25 minutes. **FYI, I got a new job which requires me to be licensed and there is a lot of studying involved. More on that in a bit.

5:11 am - 5:59 am: Walk to the bus, commute, study some more, walk from the bus stop to work.

6:00 am - 3 (or 4) pm: Work. I started this new job about 5 weeks ago and it has been a lot of learning new things, new terms, new processes and procedures, new software and new rules. I am also the "new guy" again, the one who people wonder about when I am roaming the halls. A typical work day involves a lot of spreadsheets and computer work, some phones, some handwriting orders (I know; who does that anymore) and some operations/organization items.

4:00 pm - 5:30 pm: Go to the gym, work out for about an hour, walk to the bus. I injured myself (Achilles) a couple of months ago, so have been doing more elliptical, bike and weights instead of running as much. **However, I do have three races to recap, including Boston, a 100k race and a 50 mile race that kicked my butt in a big way.

5:30 pm - 6:15 pm: Commute, more studying, walk home.

6:15 pm - 7:30 pm: Shower, water the garden (the tomatoes are looking great!), make/eat dinner.

7:30 pm - 8:30 (or 9) pm: Study. Try not to fall asleep.

9 pm: Bedtime. Hopefully.


You can't really get much more boring than that, can you? In fact, as I read over this post, I am falling asleep... So, yeah. The days are pretty packed right now, and not really with very fun stuff. I average about 2 hours of studying a day plus about 6 - 12 hours on the weekends. My exam is on July 7th and then if when I pass the first one, I have to take another one, which is as of yet unscheduled. Basically my summer is shot.

Hopefully soon I will post a couple of race recaps, as well as some opinions on micromanaging, tips on how to achieve having a successful garden and a dirt loving dog at the same time and some funny stories about my roommate's dating life. Until then, happy June!

What have you been up to in the last month? What is your average day like? Do you remember what it was like to be the "new guy"?

6 comments:

  1. Those are some long days. It will be so good to have this exam behind you! It looks like you are maybe using the Pass Perfect books? That is what I used, too. I know you'll pass but I also know it is very nerve wracking and a lot of pressure/stress. The way you feel now is how I felt the last 3 springs. My life was work and studying. It was horrid.

    In the last month I hiked a ton, drove half ways across the country, started a new job and moved into my apartment. So it was a hectic month. I am the new guy now, too, and while I am excited about my job, it's a lot of stress and pretty overwhelming. Right now I am working about 7-4:30 or 5 but I am not sure if that will change with time or not.

    I have missed your posts so am glad you popped in to say hi! Keep your chin up -you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope things are going okay for you. Some of us out here do miss you when you're gone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've missed your posts and had been wondering how you were getting on. It sounds like you've got a lot on your plate at the moment and all the best with it. I remember back to my studying and working days and hope that they're behind me now. And also, 100km race? Wowsers. I'm looking forward to the recaps as and when. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I have missed you an enormous amount and was very happy to hear from you for my birthday in May. I agree with your first sentence! I hate it when people start 'come back' posts like that too.... but I have missed you and was very happy to find this post in my blog feed... and glad that you are busy have the excitement of a job change and something new and hopefully fun to look forward to. I will read your recaps with great pleasure when you get to them. Love that you are studying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy, busy! I bet you'll do awesome on those tests, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see I haven't completely ignored you, but rather it's been a mutual ignoring of blogging. =) A new job?! Exciting! Scary! Studying, ugh! I must admit I'd have to think long and hard about taking a job that would require me to study and get licensed. Then again, leaving for work before 6am would probably be a deal breaker anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!