1.02.2014

Out With The Old

I had high hopes for a nice long run on New Year's day, but instead I had one of those days where you start one tiny project and it leads to another and another and all of a sudden the day is over. Maybe it didn't quite go the way I wanted it to, but I did get a lot done.

My mom's friend says that she always does a big clean out on New Year's day: the fridge, the cabinets, the closet. So I took a page out of her book and did the same. It started out with writing my Thank You notes for Christmas, which led to cleaning out my stationary box, which led to my file box. I threw away all my old files and scraps of paper that I had saved for (??) some reason. I threw out all of the pens that didn't work, and the envelopes without matching cards.

This led to the sock drawer, which led to the other drawers, which lead to my closet. I threw away any sock that had even the tiniest hole, even though my instinct is to save them "just in case". I threw away all of those too short shirts, which I was going to "wear under a sweater" and then kept accidentally wearing and having to tug down all day. I threw away those pants that I would "fit into some day".

Then I went to make lunch and noticed the salad dressing in the fridge was past due, which lead to a fridge clean out, which led to a freezer clean out. Freezer burned veggies, be gone. Old hot sauce? See ya! It felt so good.

expired
Yes, this was in the fridge.

I also completed a lot of small projects that I have been meaning to do, such as backing up my computer, downloading photos and creating my master address list that I update after each Christmas. All in all, it was a very productive day. 

So, I am all ready for 2014 with hole-less socks and non-moldy salad dressings.

Are you ready? Do you do any "winter cleaning"?

10 comments:

  1. Nice job on a super productive day! I have been doing projects like that throughout December, just a closet at a time, or a drawer or two. Sadly I still have a lot to do, like clean out my freezer and defrost it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Can you come over and help me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I spent the afternoon of New Years Eve doing a deep clean of my apartment - like scrubbing the floors type of cleaning. Which I hate doing but feel good about when it's over with. I also organized my closet a bit and cleaned up the area where I have my laptop when I cleaned so my place looks more organized. I had to purge a lot of my possessions before my move, so I don't really have all that much left to purge, but I do need to go through my closet again and get rid of stuff I thought I would wear this fall but didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work! I did a ton of cleaning last quarter as part of the Elf4Health Challenge. Felt SO good! I still have some of those too short shirts lurking though...
    The outdated children's Tylenol is what floored me. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had planned to run on New Years Day since it's kind of a tradition for me, but a couple of days before I realized I hadn't packed my contacts on this trip. Running in my glasses always makes me feel dizzy, so I'll have to wait until I get home from the second leg of this trip for my first run of 2014. I'm ready for that!

    Hooray for no more moldy salad dressings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post reminds me of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Haha. One thing always leads to another!

    I didn't do a big New Year's cleaning/purge, mainly because we did that a few months ago and I'm CONSTANTLY purging things. It's, like, a problem. Ha. Because then I'll need something I purged! I'm the opposite of a hoarder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doesn't that feel great? My house sort of requires me to keep in in a "purged" state at all times, because we have no storage to speak of, and that's good for me, since I'm the type to save something in the off chance I'll need it (and never do).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jealous of all your organizing- I really need to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice purge! we totally got rid of our filing cabinet during our purge. Threw out years of old files and 15 year old tax returns, etc. insane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cleaned out the refrigerator and pantry to prep for my Make A Change challenge. I got rid of the things that my kids started calling gluten bombs that tempt me :)

    Feels great to organize and purge doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!