7.24.2012

Tuesday Training (4)

Hate training posts? Love lists? Check out this list of 10 things that may make you realize that you are in Africa!

As I mentioned last week, I have been very unmotivated lately as far as running goes. However, this has not stopped me from getting out there and doing it anyway! I spent one of the weekends in Massachusetts, where it was HOT and humid. The rest of the time, I've been running in Santa Cruz, where its been in the 70s mostly. For both weeks, I pretty much ditched my speed work and am mostly running what some would call "junk miles". Junk or not, I am just happy that I managed to do any!

One thing I am really noticing lately is that the more I run, the more I eat. I know this is nothing new, but on my rest days, I am always hungry, so I am continuously eating! I'm like a 12 year old boy, appetite-wise. Also, I have a sock tan line which is pretty attractive.

Week 1 - 4
Week 5 - 8
Week 9 - 11

Week 12 - 13

Week 12:

Phoenix Rail Trail

Monday: Rest -- my right calf was giving me pain
Tuesday: Rest -- still in pain, so I decided to take an extra day of rest
Wednesday: 12 miles @ 9:36 pace (calf still hurting)
Thursday: 12.5 miles @ 9:53 pace (hilly trail run)
Friday: 7 miles -- 6 @ 9:40 pace / 1 mile walk on beach in middle
Saturday: Rest -- Travel Day
Sunday: 9 miles @ 9:00 pace

Total Miles: 40.5
Overall feeling: Tired

Week 13:

Norwottuck Rail Trail

Monday: 6 miles @ 8:57 pace (Norwottuck Rail Trail)
Tuesday: 8.5 miles @ 9:19 pace (Phoenix Rail Trail)
Wednesday: Rest -- Travel Day
Thursday: 11 miles @ 8:46 pace
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 10 miles @ 8:31 pace
Sunday: 20 miles @ 9:06 pace (Wilder Ranch)

Total Miles: 55.5
Overall feeling: Okay (better than last week!)

Wilder Ranch SP

What I have learned these past two weeks is that...I don't think I can sustain the required BQ pace of an 8 minute mile for 26.2 miles! I am having a hard enough time sustaining a 9 minute mile! This weekend I have a half marathon, which should give me an idea of my race pace, but I am feeling like maybe I am biting off more than I can chew with the BQ goal right now.

How is your training going? Do you have a hard time maintaining your pace in the heat?

9 comments:

  1. As a complete non-runner, I'm always in awe of your efforts! Go the sock tan line. I'm rocking one of them currently (but embarrassingly, it's marked with freckles so will hang around a long time and is hiking boot high).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, running in the heat is a killer. Makes me miss my winter runs:0 I know, crazy right?! Not that we have a lot of hot days here:) Don't give up your goal. When is your qualifier?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck at your next half marathon. The heat definitely affects my pace but it's nice come fall when those paces then feel a whole lot easier! I wouldn't give up your goal, you are running a lot of miles right now so maybe that is affecting it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #6 on the list--just read an article in Running Times about how most cultures other than ours have a "staple" in their diet like that. They suggested we'd benefit as runners if we had something similar (like oatmeal).

    I hope you find your mojo. Sometimes it wavers for us all! I can relate to the eating thing, for sure--I was about to mow someone down about an hour ago if I didn't get some food into my system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smokes girl, you are ramping up to some serious mileage lately! I would say that has a lot to do with your pace, plus the heat. I wouldn't write it off yet... with cooler weather and some tapering, you might surprise yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have a horrible time hitting my goal pace when running in the heat. It has been tough and I have had to adjust my expectations. I know I went through this last year and was faster come fall once the heat and humidity went away. But man, it is tough to run right now. My long runs have gone awesome, though, and I have felt so so great at the end, which is a new experience for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That BQ goal is very ambitious and I have no doubt that you'll get there.

    I hope your mojo returns soon - meanwhile, you're still keeping your body going and your run scenery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. good job! i think you will do awesome on trying to BQ!

    I have been unmotivated and not running much because we are roasting with average temps over a 100 so instead and weights have been my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, running in the heat is hard. I can always tell when it cools off not just by the thermometer but also my pace gets faster overnight. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!