2.05.2024

Winter in the Bay Area

While it is not unusual for January to be rainy in the Bay Area, last month felt like it was raining almost all of the time. Maybe this was because I needed to patch and paint my front porch and the patch needed at least 24 hours to dry properly and I wanted a few clear days to do the paint job. We patched it on December 16th and I did not have a chance to paint it until late January. So in my mind there was not a stretch of clear days in that period. I actually looked it up, and here is what I found. 

A lot of cloudy days! (grey = cloudy)

But maybe not as much rain as I thought? (I painted on the 28th)

However, having said that, there were several times that I had a marvelous walk or hike and did not get rained on at all! The day of the crosstown trail hike was perfect, and last Tuesday I went out for my normal after work run along the bay, which is generally about six miles, and it was so nice I did double the mileage! I went all the way from my office to Hoppers Hands / Fort Point, where I watched the surfers catch some waves under the Golden Gate Bridge. It was so beautiful and it made me remember why I like running, but I was definitely a little sore a couple of days later!! It was completely worth it though. 

Headed out to Fort Point from Crissy Field.

FYI, here is what it looked like two Tuesdays before this! 

I got completely drenched on this run!

I would say that my least favorite weather when doing outdoor activities is probably rain. When you are backpacking, being wet all day and setting up your tent in the rain is really not that fun. Trying to get warm while also not getting your only dry item (your sleeping bag - hopefully!) wet is not that fun. Having to put wet clothes back on the next day and start hiking is not that fun. Going out for a run when it is raining is hard mentally. In fact, I don't mind running in the rain too much, but I prefer it if it is not raining when I start running; it is just hard mentally to step outside knowing you are immediately going to get wet. Commuting to work by bicycle is also not that fun. 

Headed to work.

I know this is probably easy for me to say, since I do not live in a place where it is -30 F in the winter, but for outdoor activities, I would rather have snow or (slight) cold than rain. Obviously I do not want to freeze my butt off, but I can put on an extra layer at least. I hate being wet. 

The silver lining is that this January the lows have not been that low. Usually we get down into the just below freezing or just above freezing area, but we have had pretty steady temperatures lately and I often don't even have to put on the heater. Don't get me wrong, I do have to wear socks and an extra sweater, but the winter has been fairly mild. The blue bars in the chart below are the actual lows, whereas the blue line is the average lows. Check out the 31st; the low and the high were almost the same!

The arrow points to the day I had the great run (almost 70 degrees!)

Last week the predictions for the next 6 or 7 days was rain, and for Sunday and Monday (yesterday and today) it was supposed to be a bomb cyclone or an atmospheric river or some hoo-ha. So dramatic. They even had signs on the freeway saying not to travel both days and a tornado warning. The city of San Jose even declared a state of emergency due to flooding. 


So yesterday I was planning to go out for a run but it was pouring when I would normally start, so I decided to put it off. However, it was basically 100% chance of rain, with not even one hour that was not supposed to rain. But, around 7:30 it sounded like it was slowing down a little, so I decided to chance it and I did not get rained on until about midway through my run! I got about 45 minutes of basically no rain. The last half was wet but I did what I wanted, I started with no rain! Also, at the end of the run, I saw my third ugly Tesla truck!! I saw one in Monterey, then another last week in Danville, and this one was in Oakland. I guess they are hitting the streets! 

Pretty ugly eh? 

The bomb cyclone never manifested, but we did have some really heavy wind and I was out of power for about two hours in the middle of the day. Luckily, I had charged my phone so I just made myself a cup of tea (yay for gas), did the dishes and tidied up the house while listening to my audiobook. So basically exactly what I would have done anyway. 

So now that it is February, and Punxsutawney Phil has predicted an early spring, here's hoping that means less rain for this month!! I guess that also means I will have less excuses to not go outside and go running or biking? Time to get my butt in gear! 

Speaking of rain, I heard a joke! If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring? 

...Pilgrims! 

How is your winter going so far? Do you think we are overreacting to the weather? Have you seen the new Tesla yet and/or do you like it? 

24 comments:

  1. I've only seen pictures of the Tesla trucks and think they look RIDICULOUS...but, I bet they're really nice inside! They look like something that should be driving around on Mars, not Earth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true; they do look like something that should be picking up rocks on Mars or something! I have not seen the inside either; maybe next time I will ask the guy to take a look!

      Delete
  2. Heehee -- that's a great joke. That photo of the bridge looks like a postcard! What a beautiful day. No wonder you extended your run. I really hope February brings more sunshine to all of us.

    The Tesla trucks are baffling to me. So unaesthetic! All those blunt edges. Not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was such a beautiful day. I guess the one thing about a lot of rain is that you really do appreciate the sunny days, even if they're short! It's all relative!

      It's a little strange that the truck is so angular, since the cars are fairly rounded!

      Delete
  3. Tesla trucks look so primitive--like a prototype from 1954 of what they thought future cars on Mars would be. UGLY.

    After almost 50 days in a row of NO SUN AT ALL, we got a couple of sunny days in a row. It was so uplifting. Today, back to grey, grey, grey. But no snow, so that's a plus. We might actually see 60 by Thursday! I'll take it.
    Oh, and I started seeing robins back in early January, which is quite unusual. Lots of them in trees everywhere. Very odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a perfect description - a prototype! They must have gotten it out of the cryogenic freezer recently, or wherever they were storing it.

      So glad you're going to have nice weather soon! 60 is pretty warm for February; where are you located?

      Delete
    2. I'm in northeast Ohio (NEO), in a western suburb of Cleveland.

      Delete
  4. I had not heard of these Tesla trucks before but OMG they are hideous! Like who looks at that and thinks 'this looks great!' Eye roll.

    We lucked out and got great weather when I was in the LA area but apparently the rain hit on Wednesday night and on Thursday, some of the roads around the resort washed out so the buses that were taking people to the airport couldn't get in/out and some almost missed their flights. Oof. I was very glad that I left on Wednesday before that all started!

    I agree that rain is generally worse than snow. It's fine to walk in the snow as long as it's not terribly cold/windy. But walking in the rain is just not super pleasant? When Amber and I ran the Portland marathon in 2010, it was POURING when we were waiting for the race to start. That was just the absolute worst. And it was her first marathon! The rain did clear off eventually but it was just unpleasant to be wet from the get go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Being wet from the get go just starts you off in the wrong mindset! Also it's chilly, whereas if you are already moving you are warmer already and it's not as unpleasant. My worst day's hiking have been three or four solid days of rain and wind. You just can't get dry!

      Today it was supposed to pour all day but it was mostly dry! It only started raining when I walked to the grocery store. Of course! You got lucky with your LA trip. It rained most of the day here on Wednesday and Thursday too so you're lucky you beat it. Plus Mon/Tue were the nicest days!

      Delete
  5. Yikes you guys have rain right now like nothing else! Meanwhile we're enjoying a sunny, mild day.

    Back when I was running, rain was my favorite...as long as the temperature was over 50. Otherwise it was just no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, over 50 is not bad, and I'll even start in a T-shirt if it's over 50. However, like I mentioned, I am okay if it starts raining after I'm already running but I will put it off for a while if it's raining when I'm about to start!!

      Another silver lining is that I generally have the road/trail all to myself if it's raining. I love that!

      Delete
  6. Yeah, rain makes it tricky to do outdoor activities. Being wet is a drag for sure. I am so used to snow that rain is a little strange to me at this time of year. The weather thing that I dislike the most is wind, though. I think you can dress for anything, but you can't dress for wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about wind, Nicole. It is also the bane of many a biker! The only good wind is a tailwind!

      Delete
  7. I feel like the clouds have tricked your brain into thinking that there was more rain than there was... and a few days of blue skies did the opposite for me... although you probably did have a little bit more rain in the Bay Area than we had in the Central Valley. And we definitely had more wind than rain last weekend (our power was out for almost 7 hours).

    I totally agree - being wet is not fun, but I don't mind it as much if starts AFTER I started running (and when it's not freezing outside) ;)

    That Tesla truck is hideous. Who thought that was a good idea? I haven't seen one on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comment regarding the clouds; I also think that there was a lot of short showers on some of the days, so maybe only an hour of rain total, so it seemed like a "rainy" day but wasn't really too bad. I heard about your power outage from a client; she said her cell service was spotty too!

      Delete
  8. I agree that rain is miserable! I can't imagine trying to run or camp in the rain. Hmmm, the Tesla truck looks weird, and like it couldn't actually haul very much stuff! I haven't seen one in person though. Maybe it's bigger than it looks in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right; I don't think the Cybertruck is actually a "truck" per se, in that it does not really do well for hauling. Okay, I take that back, I just went down a Google rabbithole, thanks to you, and it actually has a removable top and an extendable bed and so it can carry stuff! You should Google image it and see; it is quite interesting. I still don't think I am on board, but maybe it is not as silly as I initially thought it was.

      Delete
  9. I love a rainy day.... as long as I don't have to leave my apartment! Tehehe.

    Those Tesla trucks are hideous. I haven't seen one before and ewww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to sit and read a book in the cozy while the rain is pouring down outside, that is for sure. Unfortunately when it rains more than half of the month, that does not lead for much productivity!! However, I have compromised and will often work on some decluttering in January since it is normally raining anyway! (I actually remember rainy FL summers which was so strange to me, as rain + warm do not normally go together in my mind!)

      Delete
  10. Well, it is summer here and it has not been great. We have only had maybe 4 days over 30C and only 1 over 35C, nothing over 40C which is a good thing though. We have not had heaps of rainy days, but when it has rained, it has usually been heavy. I agree about preferring if its gonig to rain on a run to at least be able to start in the dry ... as long as I know it's goning to rain and I have my cap and the right clothes. Before Christmas we had a couple of weeks where it seemed like every second run was in the pouring rain. Thankfully we're moving into our dryer period now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40C is pretty darn hot to me! I would prefer it stay under that if possible! Isn't it wildfire season for you guys right now too? I know for us here, often the hot and dry temps in the summer are when the fires are the worst. Maybe it is not the same on the coast though? I was in Australia in Dec/Jan and I remember being so hot!

      Delete
  11. LOL, I pull that Pilgrims joke out every year. My family just groans at me. I love your views of the bridge from the waterline, San Francisco is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny; I just heard that joke for the first time! I am horrible with jokes. I normally ruin the punchline by saying it too early, so this one is right around my skill level! San Francisco is beautiful, especially in the winter, when it is not raining and it is not too hot or cold. It is days like that which really give you an appreciation of where we live.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!