1.29.2024

The Not So Successful Side Hustle: An Update

You may recall that I recently started an unsuccessful side hustle. I never claimed to be an entrepreneur and I definitely am not much of a salesperson, but last year I thought I would try my hand in selling some stuff online. The last time I posted, I was just trying eBay, but I asked for your opinions on FB Marketplace and you all said to do it, so I did. 

I won't say that it started off easy. First of all, I was afraid. I don't really love people knowing my details and FB shows your name and could possibly involve your address. I am not a huge fan of people coming over to my house, unless it is specifically scheduled, and I do not really want people inside my house. However, I decided to do a Shonda Rhimes and call this "the year of yes" and just get comfortable with being uncomfortable. 

The first thing I listed was a stationary bike. I immediately got three replies, all offering me the exact amount I had listed it for. Hurray!! Or should I say, hurray? My Spidey senses went up, I looked at the profiles of the buyers and all of them were created in 2023 and had no personal info. I blocked and reported all three. My first adversary, slayed! After that, weeks went by with no further inquiries. 

I decided to try something a little more simple, cheaper and that did not need two people to lift it. I listed an end table, had an inquiry the next day, and had a pleasant conversation with the buyer over messenger. However, our times were not jiving, so face to face pick up was going to be difficult. I decided at that moment to offer to leave it on the porch and she could get it when she could and just leave me money. I figured if she wanted it that bad, she could just take it. However, she was super sweet, came and got it and left me money and then communicated (gasp!) that she had done so. I was converted! 

After that I listed a bunch of other things and after about six months, I have mixed feelings. Firstly, there are a ton of flakey people. So many people ask if the item is available and even if I reply right away, they ghost me after that. I have had people ask questions about details that are in the description (and I always include dimensions, info about stains, chips, tears etc.). I want to tell them to read the bloody description and stop wasting my time, but I usually don't. I have had people fully commit, ask me to hold the item, set up a time and then ghost me. I have had people set up a time and then come an hour early! People are strange. 

However, I have had some good ones and I thought I would give a seller's perspective on the perfect buyer. 

(1) The perfect buyer does not use the auto inquiry "Hi, is this available?" (often used even when the items are plural, by the way). 

(2) The perfect buyer has personality and says something like, "Hello [insert seller's name here], I was wondering if this was still available. If so, I would be able to come and get it today." ***side note, are there a lot of sellers who don't take down their listing even if they have sold the item? There must be, because I get A LOT of  "is this still available" inquiries. It's still listed! Yes it is still available!***

(3) The perfect buyer sets up a time to get the item as soon as possible. An actual time, not "tomorrow" or "later today" or my favorite, "after 9 pm." (they clearly don't know me). The perfect buyer then messages their ETA when they leave, when they are 5 mins away and when they are outside. I love these people! LOVE THEM. 

(4) The perfect buyer does not set up a time, come to my house and THEN ask if they can get the item for half off. The perfect buyer haggles in advance, settles on a price and then sets up a meeting time. 

(5) The perfect buyer pays cash, in exact amounts, but I will not be mad if they want to use Venmo. 

(6) The perfect buyer sends a photo of the item later, happy in its new home. 🧡 


So clearly everyone is different, and I am sure the buyers out there have some horror stories about the sellers (and I want to hear them!) but it seems like sometimes common courtesy is just lacking. I actually went down a wormhole of this reddit thread and wow, there really are some way worse horror stories than I have had! 

But wait, let me tell you about the saga of the suitcases. I have a set of suitcases; there are three of them, they are hard sided, they have four spinning wheels. They are nice suitcases. I only used the smallest of the three a couple of times, but I decided I was a backpack person and they sat in the garage for years. I listed them for about half of what I got them for, even though they are essentially unused. Since I listed these cases, I probably have had almost a thousand clicks on them. And for some reason, everyone who is interested in the suitcases has some issue or other. 

The accursed luggage. 

The first guy seemed like a creeper as he did not ask any questions about the cases, but just asked for my address right away, so I ignored him after that.

This lady told me she wasn't a flake, which made me suspicious.  Also that looks like a copy-paste. Hm. 


Several other people set up times and then ghosted me. Here is an example. (before this first clip, I told her I would be available from 12 pm to 1 pm). 

At 12:57, no word. So I messaged her. 

After this, she gave me another thumbs up and then the next day, did not show, did not message, nothing. 

Here is another good one. This lady messages me on Tuesday afternoon and says: Hi do all the wheels work smoothly? I just had to return a luggage set to a lady on market place. The wheels ended up being all wonky and not wheeling properly. I’m leave for a long trip Thursday and need something durable. 

So I am thinking that she sounds like one of the ladies I used to serve at Nordstrom; they would buy shoes but as they were buying them would complain about shoes and you knew, you JUST knew that they were going to wear them once and then return them (which goes against your commission if they do) after wearing them. Also, their party or whatever would be the next day and they would complain about how they just can't find anything perfect (and you would be thinking that it doesn't seem strange to you!) yet! 

BUT I message her and tell her that the wheels work great but I am only available Tuesday evening, not Wednesday. She goes on to then ask me my address (why!) and I give her the general area, thinking that we have a sale. Then she asks for $25 less than the listed price, which by the way is about 25% less, and when I counter, she doesn't agree, but just asks if we can set up pickup for tomorrow, and I reiterate that I am not available Wednesday and then... she ghosts me. Mind you, this exchange took place over six hours. So she texted me at the last minute (for her vacation) and then draws out the conversation and then doesn't want to come and get it as soon as possible!? I don't get it. 

On the other hand, if you ever DO want to get into a side hustle, for some reason around here, plants are the way to go. Remember I talked about emptying out my plant room? Well, I was going to just put them all out on the curb with a "free" sign, but I thought what the heck, I will give FB a shot. I listed about 15 indoor plants and over the next day, I sold about 9 of them and made almost $200! Listen, I listed them cheap, including the pots, but I was going to give them away for free, so I was super happy. Drinks are on me! Plus, if you recall, many of these were propagated by me, so aside from the pot and the time, they didn't really cost me much to begin with! 

Plants for sale!! 

Do I know how to make a short story long, or what!?!? Thank you for listening, and thanks to those of you who commented on my original post and prodded me to just give it a shot. 

Do you have buyer or seller horror stories? Are people in your area as flakey as the ones here? But most importantly, why are the suitcase people so weird!?!?!? I need hypotheses! 

30 comments:

  1. Thank you taking me with you on this adventure. I have heard many times that people can be so flakey!! Our last garage sale was in May of 2021 and never again. I actually never listed anything on any of the market places. I have a friend who was moving houses and listed some things- similar issues as above!
    I wish I lived closer! I would have bought some of the plants for my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daria, you can have all of the plants that you want, free of charge. I will likely end up giving a lot of the stuff away, but I did want to see if I could get some money back for it before I did. It is a learning experience and I was thinking of trying a yard sale but I may just skip that and give it all away eventually, as it does take a lot of time to try to list it and wait for people etc.

      Delete
  2. This is Lisa. Ugh the flaky people are the worst. I have mostly used FB to sell baby stuff that has a decent amount of value. I have learned to say ‘first come first serve’ and ‘no holds’ because of all the flaky people. Since it’s such a pain to wade through the flakes, I only sell things that I feel are worth the effort. So that isn’t much and now we mostly use goodwill. I have had several try to negotiate the price and sometimes I just say yes to end the exchange and get the item out of our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! I don't mind negotiating a little but I do have a couple of items where I specifically say that the price is firm (in the title, not even lower in the description) and they still try to haggle. I just ignore those ones TBH. However, I don't mind taking $5 or $10 off if it means getting something rather than taking it to Salvation Army. However, I think SA is going to get a lot of stuff in the end!

      The other part is that if it is a bigger item, it is nice to get rid of it early rather than having to lug it to the donation center. I also use Ebay for some of the smaller, shippable items and have had a little success there. However, I guess the bottom line is that I probably should not quit my day job!

      Delete
  3. You're brave. I sell stuff at our lakehouse's community-wide garage sale every so often, and that's plenty for me. I once had a woman try to haggle me down on something she pulled out of the 25 cent bin. Sigh. We also get quite a few people from the Amish community, and the men seem to have an innate need to haggle.

    I'm glad you did so well with your plants. Greenhouse prices are so high, so I'm not surprised. And the fact that you've already got them in nice pots makes it even an easier sell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The haggling aspect is not always my favorite, especially when you are dealing with a lot of different cultures. Some people just pay the sticker price, some lowball totally and some (as I mentioned above) agree to everything then try to haggle in person after you have already taken time out of your day to meet up with them, so then you feel forced to do it... It is a lot easier when you are in their country and you know the rules!!! Like I know in Africa I should never pay the asking price for anything, whereas in Germany I never haggle. Here I have Africans and Germans coming to my door!

      Delete
  4. OK, I heard it here. If you want a profitable side hustle, sell indoor plants on FB! If you want freaky stories, then sell anything else on FB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want freaky stories, sell luggage or tools. You will have a blast. I have so many stories, and not all of them are bad. I had a bunch of photo frames, some matched, some did not and I listed them all together but said I would sell them for $5 each or something and someone came right away and bought all of them and then showed up on time etc. You never know what people will want to buy and who will want to buy it. On the other hand, I have a ladder that is good quality, good condition and I have it at maybe half of the retail price and I have had no inquiries. Is it too big? Do construction guys not use FB? Do normal homeowners (I mean, EVERYONE needs a ladder!) not use FB? Why? Clearly this is not going to be my real side hustle anytime soon.

      Delete
  5. I wish you lived closer. I would take all the plants! And I wouldn't flake out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that you wouldn't. Part of the issue is that you are always dealing with strangers. You don't know if they are really flakey or not, until they flake. Yesterday I had a guy offer me $5 less on something and say that he can come "right now" and I thought it was a little scammy, but he came right away and gave me cash and it was over just like that. So my Spidey sense is not that great sometimes.

      Delete
  6. these could be good tips to be a good/kind person? hahaha.... I like seeing different perspectives. I've never sold things in large quantities so good to know challenges of the seller. when we had to move out of our apartment in manila, I just gave away things to my colleagues. that made it easy. I think when you have feelings about things that you are selling, you don't want to hear people critizising it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that!! I always post any defects so hopefully can avoid anyone complaining. They need to know that they are buying a USED item and that it's not going to be perfect. Otherwise, I don't have too much attachment to most of the things. I know I have heard from buyers that they have the same complaints about sellers, i.e. getting somewhere and the item is already gone etc. I just try to communicate and hope for the best after that.

      Delete
  7. "send me your address I'm ready to come" ewwwwww
    You're not alone, I think that happens all the time with selling things online. I had trouble with people flaking when I was giving things away for free on our buy nothing page. A dozen people would be asking for an item, I'd pick a person, and then they wouldn't show up. Very frustrating. I imagine it's even more frustrating if you're trying to sell a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, you have nailed it. A dozen people message for the same thing and...what do you do? Really it should just be a yes to all of them with the caveat that it is whoever gets there first and so sorry if it is not you! I have had the same exact issue, mostly with super cheap things, like a $10 stud finder! I must have received 100 messages about that thing by now and still nobody has come! I now just tell everyone that it is available as I know nobody will follow through; if I have to apologize later, better them than me!

      Delete
  8. I gave away so much stuff before I moved, and oh, the issues with people! Poor communication, no-shows, just so annoying. I had one person comment on how it wasn't fair that she never got anything just because she wasn't fast enough to see the listing, and I wanted to say, "Do you understand I am giving this away to get it out of here? I have no motivation to wait. And there is no way to be 'fair' to everyone."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And you have no motivation to be fair! It is first come first served and you better be quick! I can see how that could be frustrating on the buying end though, as you don't know if the seller is a flake either! I still have a few things I am trying to get rid of and a deadline of about a month from now, so we shall see how things shake out in the end. I will have to publish a final report at some point!

      Delete
  9. I *loved* reading this. I have mostly been a seller on FB Marketplace. Last year, I tried to sell my old bed frame. I had someone interested and we set up a time to meet. I gave him my mom's address (where I was storing the bed frame) and he never showed up. And then I got freaked out I just gave my mom's home address to a serial killer, lol.

    BUT... after I read this post yesterday, I went on FB Marketplace to see if there were any good chairs (I've been searching for a cozy reading chair for 6 months now!) and found one, and the buyer said it was available. I made sure to follow your advice to be a good FB buyer - I answered promptly, gave him a meeting time, told him when I was leaving to meet and my ETA, and when I arrived. And I did NOT try to negotiate the price down - $75 for a chair and ottoman was a pretty darn good price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this! I am so glad you were the perfect buyer! :) It sounds like a happy transaction on both parts! I also try to make a habit of thanking people who are communicative! You can also rate a seller if you want, but apparently you cannot rate a buyer, which is kind of lame, as I would have some feedback!

      Re your address, here is what I have started to do. If they are interested in coming, I try to nail down a time and then tell them my close(ish) cross streets, and ask them to please message me when they are on their way and I will send them the exact address. This way (a) I know when they are on their way and can get the item out (and if possible, take it outside so I don't need to chance them coming into the house) and (b) don't give them the address until the last minute so that all the flakes don't have it! I am learning and this did take a few no shows to learn!

      Delete
  10. I give things away sometimes on my local Buy Nothing group, and of course have some of these issues. People are SO enthusiastic about asking, and then it takes awhile for them to come get anything. In the case of Buy Nothing, I try to 'let it simmer' for a day or two, to give more people a chance to request it. The leaders ask people to do that when they can, since some people don't look at FB all day waiting for items to post.

    I like that I don't have to come in contact with them, just leave the item in front of the house. I've never tried to sell anything on marketplace, but my cousin has bought a lot of great stuff, and so has my BIL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of great stuff to be had for sure, but my least favorite part of selling is the communication. I really don't mind people coming to my house. I have a camera and I don't let them in the house and if they are a smart thief, they would not target a place where they had written communication about possibly going to be there! However, all the back and forth and then for it to often come to nothing is the part I really don't like.

      Delete
  11. Oh man, you highlighted EXACTLY why I hate selling stuff! The number of "is this still avaliable?" followed by silence is awful. Everyone said facebook marketplace was the place to sell things but I have had basicaly zero success there. Just recently I sold our baby cot on gumtree (british craigslist) and I was so happy that normal people came to buy it that I offered to sell them all our other baby stuff plus give them all the too small baby clothes for free.

    One time I was selling baby clothes and I had massive bags for sale for £5 just to get rid of them... a woman came and haggled for over 30 minutes trying to get the price lower! Then she drove away and came back to haggle more! I thought I was going to have to call the police as at one point I asked her to leave and opened the door and she wouldn't go. Then her husband got out of the car and my husband came downstairs and we kept asking her to leave and she kept holding out £2 at us. Also we were both heavily pregnant - it was so weird! After that I started donating more things to charity rather than trying to sell things because the experience was so unpleasant.

    I would never have guessed that houseplants are where the money is! And how nice to get a text later from someone appreciating the purchase! We sold a table once and the family texted us a photo of it in their home and it made me very happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It is funny what people will haggle over. I don't mind people trying to get a deal but I hate it when we have already figured out a meeting time and then they come over and then when they are here right in front of me they want to haggle. That way if I say no, I have just wasted my time having them come over AND I have to start back at square one! Having said that, I just had the last two things I sold go for the exact price I asked for, which was higher than I expected, as I thought I would have to haggle. So maybe those two things made up for the nickel and diming of the other people!

      Delete
  12. I had to shudder about your experiences! I've used Craigslist to sell some things, and it worked well, but there were a few off-putting experiences. The newest thing is buyers want to send you a text and have you enter a "verification code" to prove to them that you're a real person. But they're the ones scamming you by hijacking your phone number if you enter the code! Luckily, I felt suspicious about that and did some research, and didn't fall for it. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have heard of that scam but luckily have not had experience with it. I have had people ask to pay by Zelle, in which you need a phone number, so I generally try to stay away from that too. I am not sure what the scam would be for some of the ones that make my hair rise, but I just avoid them anyway just in case.

      Delete
  13. I've successfully bought a couple of things of FB Market Place (where else do you sell stuff these days?) but ugh, I've heard a lot of shady stories, too. That's why I have been so reluctant to try and sell stuff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not ALL bad, in fact, some people are very nice. You just have to be patient and be willing to compromise your time, haggle and meet people halfway sometimes. I only have bought one thing ever, and it was very easy!

      Delete
  14. I've never sold anything on FB marketplace, but it's funny because I know people how have and they have stories very similar to yours! I guess in the end it's worth it though? Especially the plants- $200 when you were going to give them away is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends. For me, a large item like a stationary bike or a dresser is worth it, as they normally can fetch a good price and only take a minute to list. The small items, including plants, can be a bit tedious, as I had to spend time messaging and setting up times and maybe even haggling with several different people to make that $200 (vs a dresser is just one person, well I guess one FINAL person!). So yeah, sometimes the amount you are making per hour may not make sense. However, if I am working from home anyway and I don't mind going back and forth a little, which is how the plants kind of went, it can work out!

      Delete
  15. This was so fun to read -- probably a LOT more fun than it was to deal with all the hassle! WHY are people like this?!?! Love that you had such success with the plants, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a lucky win for me! Especially since I really had low expectations, so I was extra surprised and delighted that I even got anything for them! I don't know why people are like that!! Maybe they are the kinds of people who will window shop a lot, or put a lot of Amazon items in their cart and never buy them...but I am not Amazon! You gotta commit at some point!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!