Happy Monday and happy end of September! I don't know about you, but I have really been enjoying the nice fall colors and the bit of crispness to the air! I've been taking daily walks, sometimes on my own, but usually with company, in the form of a four legged friend. Actually I think the theme of the month should be "four legged friends," as I spent time with no less than five dogs and six cats (not all at the same time) this month! The only place I did not spend time with pets was California, but that will be happening in October, so stay tuned!
As always, I'd love to hear what you're up to! Please copy and paste the questions at the end and add your answers to the mix!
Where was I? Ohio, Montana, Oregon, California
What country related books or documentaries did I watch?
Read: By the Shores of Silver Lake by Laura Ingalls Wilder (found in a little free library, which was kismet, as I had just read On the Banks of Plum Creek during TBE with Birchie!)
Watched: None (but I am in the US, so I am giving myself a pass)
Did I complete any other items on this year's looking forward list?
✅New food <-- soy matcha latte. I thought I didn't like matcha but this one was okay.
✅New beer <-- Steeplejack Brewery Fizzy Biscuits Hazy IPA (yum!)
✅ New States <-- none
✅ New National Parks <-- none
✅ New thing <-- I shipped my bike! I flew back to CA but the logistics were complicated (no car big enough, plus I had other things to do before going to the place where the bike will be stored) so I just had it sent. I had already had it boxed due to taking it on the Amtrak, so it was not too much extra work. However, it is not cheap! But its better than figuring out how to get it where it needs to go in California. Convenience > Cost in this case!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1. What is the name of last month's chapter?
January: Devouring the Sweet Potato
February: Back in the Groove
March: Serenity Before the Storm
April: Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot
May: The Ring of Fire and Ice
June: On The Road Again
July: A River Rides Through It
August: That's What Friends Are For
September: Four Legged Friends
2. What did I learn last month?
I learned that Travis, the son of the Nike founder Phil Knight (if you have not read
Shoe Dog, do it now!) directed a movie called
Wildwood which is about a girl whose baby brother gets kidnapped by a murder of crows (kind of
Labyrinth-esc sounding to me) and she has to try to find and save him in a forest near Portland. So, currently (until October 30) there is an exhibit where there are 30 crow statues painted by different artists which can be found around the city. You can
find the map here.
 |
| This one is at the rose garden |
3. What was the weather like?
It was great for the most part, although there was a big storm when I was in Montana and some pretty heavy winds for a day in Oregon. All in all though, it was about 45-70 F (7-20 C), with no rain and nice fall colors and it was lovely.
4. What event last month was my favorite?
I had a great time with Birchie, who came to visit me in Oregon. We went hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, tried some new beers, went to trivia night and of course went to Powells! It was fun to show her around
some of my Portland favorites!
5. What was the best thing read, listened to or watched last month?
Book: Grey After Dark by Noelle W. Ihli - it was a thriller and was entertaining
Movie/Show: Traitors UK (Peacock) - Birchie and I finished Season II together. All I can say is, I would not be good at that show, as I cannot lie! These people are ruthless.
Podcast: I am still plugging along at
Headwaters, which is about Glacier NP and the area in general. This month I learned that the Empire Builder, which is the name of the Amtrak I took from MT to OR, got its name from James Hill, who was the founder of the Great Northern Railway. Because his rail network drove massive economic growth across the Upper Midwest and Northwest, people called him "The Empire Builder."
That episode can be found here.
6. Tell us one funny recent story.
I went with my MT friend to pick huckleberries as a storm was brewing and we went up a dirt road so we could get to a higher elevation. As we went up the road, the wind was picking up and we could see and hear trees falling in the forest. We hunted for berries then headed back down, and encountered a big fir tree across the road that we had come up. The funny thing is that we had just been discussing how we both carried a go kit in our car. We are both from a small mountain town and of course, grew up without cell service and had to learn to fend for ourselves. We were talking about how a lot of people nowadays don't know how to fix a flat tire, or often don't have emergency supplies in their car. Anyhow, we got to the downed tree and luckily my friend had a handsaw in her car, so we had to saw it to get it out of the road. We were happy that we practiced what we preached in the end, as we would have been stuck otherwise!
 |
| Before, During & After |
7. What am I looking forward to this month?
A long hike with a friend (and of course, this will count
toward the CBWC!), getting some reading done, and seeing a few new places!
 |
| A preview of where we will be hiking |
Your turn! To copy/paste, highlight the text below and click CTRL-C, then put the cursor in the comment box and click CTRL-V.
SEPTEMBER:
1. What is the name of your last month's chapter or the theme of your last month if you prefer that?
2. What did you learn last month?
3. What was the weather like where you are?
4. What event last month was your favorite?
5. What was the best thing you read, listened to or watched last month?
6. Tell us one funny recent story.
OCTOBER:
7. What are you looking forward to this month?
Bonus question! Do you know how to fix a flat tire? Do you carry an emergency kit in your car? Where will you be walking in October?
Only you would help hand saw a fallen tree! I love this story.
ReplyDeleteI'm lucky if I carry an umbrella in my car, let alone any kind of emergency kit (unless one came with my car and I don't know about it). 99% of the time, I'm in the car with Rick, so I guess he is kind of my emergency kit.
1. Chapter name: K and C's Excellent Adventures Continue
ReplyDelete2. What I learned: the PNW is right up my alley and I enjoyed exploring Portland, Salem, and Olympia. Thanks to Elisabeth, I also learned how to spell and pronounce Saskatchewan.
3. Weather: is finally great! I escaped from the last of our summer heat by coming to see you in Portland, and apart from a few days of rain the weather has been sunny and pleasant. It's the perfect weather to be outside in.
4. Fav event was obviously my trip! We got to catch up since it had been an entire week since we'd seen each other, and hang out with the four leggers (one dog, three cats).
5. Best reads: Good People by Patmeena Sabit, Heft by Liz Moore, and Always on Call by Marion Crook. Best listen: I finally put away all nine hours of the Acquired Berkshire Hathaway series! Best watch: well of course UK Traitors, and a Mexican TV show called La Casa de las Flores.
6. Funny story: You and I went to trivia and got STUMPED by being asked to identify fast food burgers by sight. Nevertheless, we still came in #13 of 21 teams!
7. Next month: a family long weekend to see Stepson #2 at college, and a mutual friend is coming to see me. I'm pretty sure I know what my next trip will be, I just need to pull the trigger and start booking things.
How fun that Birchie went to see you in Oregon!
ReplyDeleteI read Grey before dark and thought it was quite a thriller too!
1. What is the name of your last month's chapter or the theme of your last month if you prefer that? Perfect Fall Weather
2. What did you learn last month? I learned what a pith helmet is!
3. What was the weather like where you are? Perfection. Not too hot, not too cold.
4. What event last month was your favorite? Pat's birthday!
5. What was the best thing you read, listened to or watched last month? I'm about finished with book 8 of the Emma M. Lion series, and I have enjoyed it so much.
6. Tell us one funny recent story. A moose came running through the field one morning, and one of the bulls started to run after it!
OCTOBER:
7. What are you looking forward to this month? Walking with the CBWC and reading with the CBBC.
Bonus question! Do you know how to fix a flat tire? Do you carry an emergency kit in your car? Where will you be walking in October? I used to know how to fix a flat tire, but I'm not so sure I could do it now. We have an emergency kit, but it does not include a hack saw! Bonus points to your friend for having one!
What a great month you had in Portland! Hiking around Forest Park (or maybe not Forest Park), and the Columbia Gorge! And Powells! I love the crows, I’ve seen other pictures and they’re great.
ReplyDeleteWow, I don’t think it would ever occur to me to have a saw in my trunk. And then for it to come in handy like that, amazing!