9.16.2024

What I Learned

Welcome to the technology version of What I Learned. Over the years, obviously I have done a lot of things wrong for a long time and then I find out a trick and I am floored and I never look back. Here are a few things that I have found that make things so much easier when using the phone or computer. 

VPN: This is good for when you are using a lot of public networks and need security, or...if you are traveling and you want your app or website to think you are still in your country of origin. I have a good story about this which I will tell in another post but for now just know that your Netflix account does not have the same shows when you are in a different country. So if you want to have the same shows, or same subtitles etc. your IP needs to be in the country you come from. Also banking is much easier if you are "not" abroad! I use NordVPN, but there are several different options and they are not expensive, and it has saved my butt a few times!! 

Feedly Boards (Categories). I started using this when I first started using Feedly, but at the time, I only had a "favorites" category. Once I started having to use my phone to read articles, I quickly found that I needed more categories, as I like to go back to posts I have commented on to see if the author has replied to my comments. When I am on the laptop, I used to just leave the article open, then revisit it when I went back on the computer. 

However, with my phone, this is not as feasible. So now I have boards for the following: 

Commented: posts I commented on
Returned: posts I commented on and returned to and read the reply (once this is done, I remove the commented category)
Past due: posts I commented on, returned to and there is no reply after a certain amount of time (then I remove the commented category and don't go back again and waste time checking).


Book ideas: articles or posts about books that I want to add to my holds/loans on Libby
Vacation ideas: articles or posts about places I want to research more, go to, or review
Ideas: articles or posts about something that I think would be fun to write about at some point


You can bring up just the one category and see a list easily and you can also add or remove the category from the list or within the individual article or post. 

Google Reader Mode. If you use Chrome and you have any websites that use a lot of ads or photos and take forever to load or scroll, you will love the Google Reader Mode Extension. It breaks down the post into words only, and gets rid of all the pesky minutia. This also often works for posts where you can only see some of the post and then need to log in; if you hit the Reader button right away, you can get the entire article in Reader view. 


Here is an example: Purple travels a lot and retired early and I like reading her stories; however, I do not have the patience for the site to load due to so many pictures and inserts and ads! 

Big pictures! Too many ads and Instagram links!

So I pop it into Reader and voila. In Reader, you can also save, print, and read aloud. You can also change the font and size and things, but I have just left it on the default for this. 

So much cleaner! See top right for options.

Camera shortcut for phone. This may seem obvious to some but when I was on the Tour Divide, a guy I was with told me how he wasn't taking a lot of photos because it was a pain to get his phone out, swipe to open, push the camera button and then take a photo. I told him that he should have a shortcut to enable him to do it without all that fuss. For my phone (Pixel), you have to double click the power button. You can then take the photo using the volume button (either one) therefore enabling you to do it fast, or when it's wet outside, or when you have gloves on, all without touching the screen. My parent's Motorola is a quick wrist twist back and forth to activate. Also, in case you are scared, if a stranger does this, they cannot access any prior photos or other things on your phone, so you can have someone take your photo at Yosemite without worry. What is your phone's camera shortcut? 

Schedule send for text messages. Since I am often up at the buttcrack of dawn, and this is when I have time and motivation, I often set up a bunch of texts to go out later in the day when normal people are actually up. I also do this for birthday texts if I think of it the day before, I will schedule it for the next day so I won't forget. The only downside of this for me is that if I am not in service at the scheduled time, it won't go out, so it doesn't help me in that case. In Android you hard press the send button and it will give you an option for times; once you choose your date and time, you hit the send button again and it will be set! I am certain iPhone has something similar; can anyone confirm?  

What method do you use to check responses on comments if there is no auto email feature? What tricks to you use to keep track of ideas, future books to read or vacations to research? What tips and tricks do you use to save time with technology, the internet, or your computer? If none of the above, do you have any tips or tricks you often use in life? 

16 comments:

  1. For books, I put titles on my "for later" pile on the library app on my phone. When it comes to comments on blog posts, I just kind of hope to remember to check back - I often don't remember! I should have a better system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a similar thing with my wish list on Libby, which is my library app. I then will look at it if I need to fill up space on my holds or need a new book but I don't always remember to go back to the list if I find a new one and can add it to my holds or shelf right away.

      Delete
  2. These are fascinating!
    I do the same with books - adding them to my "For Later" shelf in the library system.
    I don't check back on comments very often; maybe 30% of the comments I leave. That said, I do read or at least skim all the comments (and responses) that come before mine. And about 30% of the blogs I read will trigger an e-mail when someone responds and that's my FAVOURITE. I wish I could figure out a way to activate that on my site. I need to work on that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish that I could set up the email trigger but that's not a feature of blogger. Some WordPress blogs do have that and for those I do not use the elaborate Feedly system!

      Delete
  3. Out of your list, the things I need are a VPN and to make a "commented" list in Feedly.

    My "methods"
    - Comments - none, but I would really like to start following up. #goals
    - Ideas & books - my head. The reason why I don't use anything else is that I have more ideas and more books that I want to read than time allows. I've found that making lists just results in a graveyard of things that I'm not doing.
    - Vacations - I have a word doc that I can access from all of my devices. I jot down notes of places that I want to go and try to chunk them into general areas. When it gets closer to trip time I take notes on what things are open when so I can figure out what I need to schedule and what I can just show up to. For example this weekend I went to Cincinnati and I had a general list of stuff in southwest Ohio to pull from, and then I made a quick list of what I could do each day (and forgot to save it on my computer so the list wasn't updated on my phone...I never said the tech worked perfectly). Once I go somewhere I list the places that I went and what I thought (ratings are awesome, good, OK, meh).
    - Other tricks - for sanity's sake I'm very picky about which apps are allowed to send me notifications. I don't need the constant stream of interruptions. I use AdBlock to cut out as much noise as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For vacations I also have a list on Excel and also I use Google Keep to create a notes sheet for each country or city where I add to it of I hear of something. However I often get ideas from the blogs that I tag on Feedly and I don't always put them in my notes sheet or excel sheet right away.

      Delete
  4. I second Birchie's comment about using an ad blocker. I use a laptop, and I like the Chrome extension uBlock Origin. It strips away ads and popups and all sorts of extraneous junk so that I can read uninterrupted.

    On my phone (iPhone), I love the Do Not Disturb feature. I set it from 10pm-7am so that I have uninterrupted sleep. It can be customized so that only certain people can ring or message me, but other than that, everything else is silenced. I sometimes have bouts of insomnia, so this is important for my sleep hygiene.

    As far as a non-tech trick, one that's been valuable for me is Touch Something Once. That means, when the mail comes, don't just put it aside, act on each piece immediately. When you take stuff out of the dryer, fold it and put it away. Don't make piles of stuff, put each thing where it goes immediately. It made my life easier when I was teaching, and it made my life at home more organized and better, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I need to get an ad blocker. I will have to check out the ones you recommended.

      I agree with most of your other comments. Touch once saved my butt when moving, although I didn't always follow it exactly. As for DND, I have it set up for the night time and I also have most of my apps set to "no notifications" and I make a point to check them once a day or once a week or whatever.

      Delete
  5. There are a few blogs I always go back to because I know they respond to every comment but I don't have a systematic way to do this. I never respond to comments since I know a notification won't be sent. If I do respond, it's over email if they have an email attached to their profile but that's pretty rare these days!

    I keep ideas for posts and things like that in my apple notes. I try to go back through them occasionally to delete things that are not relevant but I am not great about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So basically what I am understanding from all of your comments is that I should stop responding because nobody comes back to check! Except for maybe you if I am one of the responders on your list, and Nicole, but only once in a while!

      I also keep lists in Google Keep for travel destinations, books, ideas for posts etc. but I still tag them on Feedly in case I've run out of ideas or don't have time to put them on the list right away.

      Delete
  6. I just...don't do any of this? LOL. How am I even an adult? I guess I'm barely functioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's a case of "you do you," as I know you have a lot of lists and organizational things that you do that are very elaborate, and many that I do not do!

      Delete
  7. great tips! I don't always respond to comments unless there's a question. If I asked a question when commenting, I do remember to go back and check. Sometimes the wordpress platform informs me when there's a response to my comment but not always. I use feedly and have only one category, save for later. I use safari folders to save articles for travel ideas, recipes, articles to share in the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Coco, I usually don't respond unless there is a question, but I sincerely appreciate every comment. Shortcuts... Not really, my life is not that busy and complicated. For camera, I swipe left on my iPhone.
    Some go-tos...
    Google Keep for everything: notes to self, links, recipes, affirmations.
    Screenshots of info that I later go back to and add to calendar or delete. A list of books in Libby, my library app, and that's it. Thank you for the extension - SHU's website is swimming with ads but I love reading her posts so that'd be very helpful

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are some great tips! I'm not great about going back to see if someone replied to my comment, so I really love the sites that send an email. I use a Wordpress plugin called Comment Reply Email Notification. That name gets right to the point! 🤣It seems to work well. I love the idea of using different Feedly boards. I just have one big folder called Favorite Blogs. For planning & keeping track of things, I just use a plain old paper calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did know about getting my phone to open to the camera, but I didn't know I could then use the volume button to take the picture, so thank you for that! And also for the reminder about Boards in Feedly, as I set some up at some point but totally forgot about them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!