12.15.2022

Best of 2022: Travel

This year, I made up for two years of lockdown and scheduled all kinds of weekend shenanigans. Most of them involved the outdoors but I also visited some cities and had some delicious food. I also finally knocked some places off my long time wish list. Here are a few of my favorites! 

Snowshoeing and skiing at Dodge Ridge. In January, Broski, Bunny and I took a long weekend for some skiing and snowshoeing near Pinecrest Lake. It was the perfect weekend; it was sunny but not hot and the runs are short and sweet but so were the lines. I even did a few (tiny) jumps, which gets my blood going! 

Pinecrest Lake

Music, BBQ and kayaking in Austin, TX: In February, KB and I finally made it to Austin after years of wanting to check it out. It did not disappoint and we had a great time running around the lakes, eating BBQ, checking out some live music and kayaking. And did I mention eating? There was a lot of eating. Also KB's sister and friend came from Houston to join us, so it was a fun girls trip all around! 

Could not leave without getting a picture of this. 

Grandma's memorial on Cape Cod: Although not the happiest of occasions, it was good to see the family and to spend time on the Cape. In March, we rented a big house for the entire family and spent time eating, walking on the beach and even enjoying a springtime snowstorm. I also tacked on a visit to some friends in Boston who I haven't seen in a few years and we went out for a seafood feast and had a great time catching up. 

Cape Cod

Wedding weekend and croissant eating in Brooklyn: My favorite pastry is a bear claw/almond croissant and Brooklyn has plenty of options to pick from! Aside from a fabulous time had at my friends wedding where there was dancing and lots of cheese, I spent the rest of my weekend in Brooklyn on the quest for the best almond croissant. From Park Slope to Green Point, my favorite was the Julien Boulangerie, but of course I will have to keep trying to see if it can be beat! 

Bikes and croissants, oh my.

Backpacking in Yosemite: I spent a couple of different weekends doing cross country backpacking trips in Yosemite and both of them were great. There was still a lot of snow at times and this made for some slow going, but it just gave me more opportunities to enjoy the scenery. 

Snow on Vogelsang pass

Teton adventure: In July, Broski, Bugsy and I took a road trip to Wyoming where we did a 5 day hike around the Teton range. It was absolutely beautiful, although it was still a bit snowy and some of the passes were still a bit slippery! 

Hiking near Death Canyon Shelf

Road trip to Washington and Oregon: I finally knocked a couple more of my hopefuls off the list and tackled the Timberline Trail around Mt. Hood, the Enchantments and the northernmost section of the PCT in Washington. 

PCT - Section L

Hiking and dragon hunting in Slovenia: After years of wanting to go see this tiny jewel of a country, I finally made it and it did not disappoint. From wine to beaches, from mountains to cities and lots of good food too, Slovenia has a bit of everything. I spend a good time hiking the Slovenian Mountain Trail and then supplemented that with some relaxation, good food, and fun sights! 

Ljubljana

I also had some fun CA trips to the Lost Coast, Mt. Shasta and Castle Crags, Emigrant Wilderness, Mt. Whitney (x 2!!), and the Hoover Wilderness. 

What was your favorite trip this year? 

4 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Favourite trip was probably going to South Carolina to see my sister and her family. I hadn't been in over a decade and the trip had been delayed by 2 years because of COVID. It was so much fun - warm, sunny and just joyful to be with family we hadn't seen in so long.

    I love all the mural art! I always stop to take pictures of things like that as I love how those pops of colour and artistic whimsy add so much character to a town/city.

    I had to laugh when you mentioned enjoying a springtime snowstorm. I am NOT a fan of snow (at all), so I inwardly cringed at the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Lisa. Google/blogger is a pain on my phone! We did not travel much this year since we were just coming out of the pandemic. Now that the boys are vaccinated we will start traveling next year. We had some fun weekends at my parents and a longer trip in august. But the highlight was our trip to Mexico last week! We did not do much but it was nice to get away and soak up the sun. We remembered who we were before we were parents. We had a ‘fantasy draft’ of people we would vacation with and you made the cut!! Phil and I both adore you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool summary! These are some awesome photos. I'm a chronic over-photographer and over-photo poster (I am terribly indecisive, and basically just add them all, lol!), so I am in awe of your "one picture per place" brief summary here. You chose the perfect photos and it's a great overview. Lucky for you to see so many amazing places in one year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great year of travel, Kyria. Even the trip to the East Coast (despite it being for a sad occasion). I went on a summer road trip with my family last summer (twice postponed because of Covid) and it was everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!