11.02.2015

Looking Back: October

Another October is in the books! Finally, a month with a good mix of friends, family, work, running and getting things knocked off my To Do List (which is no mean feat). I had a couple of weekends at home, which, although they weren't "quiet", did give me a chance to get some things done that I have been wanting to do for a long time (like planting that darn orange tree in the back yard)!

Running: Finally I picked up my mileage a bit, mostly because I ran the Dick Collins 50M early in the month, but also because I am trying to get back out there little by little. Running mileage was 126 miles, which I have to say I am pretty darn happy with! I also put 36 miles on the bike, hiked 14 miles and did 6 HIIT/strength/core workouts. I mentioned in the race recap that I thought the strength workouts were helping my running and I plan to keep doing them at least a couple of times each week to see if it works out better for training. Something has to give; I am still having back pain and that plus my lack of motivation have led to a lot less running that normal. However, if I can find a substitute for one or two days of running per week and it works out, this may be the solution.

Reading: I am not super excited about any of the books I read in October. I ended up reading 5 books total and they were all just "okay". They were:

Heroes Are My Weakness (2 stars)
Life After Life (3 stars)
What Alice Forgot (3 stars)
The Dinner (3 stars)
Dietland (3 stars)

Travel: I didn't stray too far away from home in October, but I did have a nice trip home to see my parents, where we went on a couple of nice hikes, spent some time with my grandma and ate the last of the fresh tomatoes. I also went to my cousin's wedding which was at a nice vineyard about an hour and a half from my house. The setting was beautiful and it was great to see family that I hadn't seen in a while and to get a bit gussied up and to dance my booty off (I did not count that as one of the strength workouts, but it WAS a workout)!

November is shaping up to be another fun (filled!) month, with a couple of visits from friends and family, some big house projects, some running events, hosting Thanksgiving at my house and a trip for work to NYC!

How was October for you? Did you go trick-or-treating or did you hand out candy? Do you know of any good strength workouts I should try? 

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Jordan Metzl's Iron Strength workouts are designed for runners, but every time I've used them I got injured! The workout is an hour long and starts with 8 sets of 15 jump squats and ends with I think 40 or 50 burpees, and I guess I'm just not strong enough for the whole thing. Since you're already doing strength, maybe you would fare better than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on your mileage! I hope that your back pain goes away soon, though... I love the ST workouts on peanut butter runner's blog and I have heard that others like the workouts on Fitnessista's page so maybe check them out?

    October was a total blur for me. I traveled a lot and had a lot of other stuff going on so I feel like the month flew by especially fast. We handed out candy for a couple of hours on Saturday and then headed to a Halloween party which was fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!