6.11.2012

Monday Misc

Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I sure did. I have so much to talk about, but I am without my own computer today and I don't know about you guys, but when I am using a borrowed computer, it seems like I am much less organized. I mean, am I the only one who gets bothered by having to put my password into everything all over again? Or the history bar not auto populating when you go to check out your favorite blog? I know; it's not a big deal, but all my photos and downloads and everything are on my computer and it's just so much more convenient to use it! Now that I have rambled on about nothing for the last five minutes, lets get to it!

- I guess I am the snake woman, because yesterday during my run, I saw a snake...eating a mouse! I mean, the mouse was tail end in the snakes mouth and he was being devoured as I watched. Luckily (am I the only one who thinks this is lucky?) Mr. Lovely was biking with me and he had his big camera and he got some nice shots of the entire process. I think stuff like that is cool. If you are a vegetarian or a mouse lover, I apologize.

- I developed a bit of a cold this weekend. In order to try to alleviate it, I had one of these. I think it helped.

Pain Killer

- My little veggie plants are wilting. I haven't talked about them, because I wanted to be able to say: hey, I am growing plants and they are fabulous! But they are not. I think it's a combination of bad drainage and over watering. Or do those go hand in hand? I don't know. I started a bunch of seeds and they were doing so well...until I transplanted them and then? Saggy McSagster. Phooey. I may just have to buy whole (half grown) plants. Otherwise I won't have tomatoes until December at this rate (or never).

- Between the car breaking down and my moving, I have been without the Garmin for a couple of my runs. What I found out? My "comfortable", Garmin-less pace is around an 8:30-8:40, which is good because I am supposed to be doing my easy runs at about that pace! I don't mind running without the Garmin as far as the total run goes, but I do like having the data afterward to look at and analyze.

- Last but not least, Laura gave me the One Lovely Blog award! I am supposed to 1) Post the award logo and picture on your blog and link back to the person who nominated you. 2) Tell seven things about yourself. 3) Nominate up to 15 additional bloggers whom you think deserve the award. 4) Post a comment on the blog of each nominee to tell them they have been nominated! Since I already told you 4, here are three more little facts.

- I am 4th generation Scottish. My great, great grandparents came over via Canada. They lived near Banff (I can't remember if they lived in BC or Alberta) for a while before coming south to the US.

- I keep my fingernails very, very short. I don't bite them, but I can't stand having them as any more than a tiny sliver of white. I also do not paint them. The chipping drives me insane.

- I could eat a burrito any time of day. I love them.

- Speaking of burritos, yesterday I went for a burrito and decided to try the menudo, since they only serve it on the weekend. If you are not familiar, it's a soup made with intestine that is a very traditional Mexican dish. I have never tried it, not because the guts part grosses me out, but just because I like burritos, so I usually don't order other stuff. But I was hungry and I decided to give it a whirl. It wasn't bad, but it definitely has a distinct smell to it!

(apparently I can't count, because that was four more, but I am leaving it as is)

- As for the tags, I am going to give this award to a few lovely ladies: Lisa, Amber, Amber, Nilsa, Stephany, Robyn, Carrie, Elle, San, Suz, Vanessa and Nora. Ladies, if you already did it, great! Everyone else, if you want to participate as well, I encourage it!

Are you adventurous when it comes to trying new foods? Have you ever witnessed an animal eating another animal? If you could eat one thing only for the rest of your life, what would it be?

18 comments:

  1. I like to try new foods within reason. I recently tried crawfish for the first time.

    I have seen animals eating other animals. Coyotes, cats, dogs, and birds of prey, and a snake too I guess. otherwise just on the nature shows.

    One thing for the rest of my life..that is a hard one. I don't even know where to start with that one. Bread?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to try new foods within reason. I recently tried crawfish for the first time.

    I have seen animals eating other animals. Coyotes, cats, dogs, and birds of prey, and a snake too I guess. otherwise just on the nature shows.

    One thing for the rest of my life..that is a hard one. I don't even know where to start with that one. Bread?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of new foods! And I would have been totally fascinated by the snake-eating-mouse thing the same way I'm fascinated when I see an osprey flying overhead with a fish in her talons. Nature at work!

    PS - How's this for tying those two themes together: I've eaten rattlesnake - tastes like fish - but not rodent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hate the change of computer thing. It takes me forever to feel like I'm in a groove and organized. You've had a lot of changes! Are you all moved in? I've been finding 8:40 to be my preferred easy run pace, too. Bummer we can't run together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like I'm a snake magnet! Every time I run through the local park I see a snake, even if it's not a typical snake time of day. Too bad they scare me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, thanks for the link love! So flattering!

    I'd try that stew, so long as I didn't have to watch it being made. =) And if I could eat anything for the rest of my life, it'd have to be sushi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the award. :)

    Intestines freak me out - I avoided a lot of things in France because they were made with intestines. I am pretty open minded about eating for the most part, but I draw the line there (but I eat hot dogs and that is probably even more gross than that soup w/ intestines!).

    It would be hard to pick one thing to eat... maybe pickles? Or chips & salsa? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the blog award!! I could not handle eating something made with intestine even if I wasn't a pescatarian!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I eat at home, I cook and eat the same foods over and over again. But in new places, I love eating new things and will just about anything! I've seen a dog eating a baby llama before....that was horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the blog award!

    I do like trying new things. I'll try random cultural foods at least once (usually).

    I do hate snakes, but watching one devour its lunch would be kind of cool to see. My brother used to have a snake and I'd watch it eat (but not watch the part when it caught and smooshed the mouse).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, thanks for the blog nod. It is fun to read new things about you and I will have to put my thinking cap on.

    I don't think I would have watched the snake eat the mouse. I am not even good at watching predator attacks on National Geographic shows so to see it live would not be my cup of tea... but I can see how it could be quite intriguing.

    I don't like to run into snakes in the wild, but I do like to watch them. They are so pretty, I think.

    Hope you are getting settled and enjoying yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love trying new foods but have no interest in trying anything that has intestines as an ingredient. Hope all went/is going well with the move. The blog award is well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We saw a hawk catch a smaller bird mid-flight once. On our Serengeti safari we saw where a leopard had stashed its kill in a tree to save for later. I saw a snake swallow a gecko. Of course, not knowing if it was a poisonous snake or not my first instinct was to grab the camera, not run away.

    Oh, and in Burundi there's a "zoo" where you can buy guinea pigs to feed to crocodiles and snakes. (It's fun. Once.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks!! feel honored! and a scot...(well..) i didn't know that!x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...it's been so long since I have been on your blog. I miss it! It looks all different. Shiny and new haha. I can't believe you saw a snake eating a mouse. I would have freaked, but definitely wouldn't have been able to tear myself away. Anyway, I am set to catch up as much as possible on your blog. Be prepared for comment overload!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you are the snake lady! What no pics? I am thinking the drink cured you:) I am not too adventurous with food. If I had to choose one thing to eat for the rest of my life, it would probably be rice. I love fried rice but I just really like rice in general.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pain killers are no joke-there's a restaurant here that serves them as a specialty drink!

    What's your snake count up to this year?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel like such a bad blogger for missing this! But, thank you so much for the award Kyria, I have really enjoyed getting to know you and I wish you were still in the Midwest! If you ever come back or if I am in your area we have to meet up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!