3.28.2012

Movie Buff

I don't watch a lot of TV. I don't really watch a lot of movies either. I never have. That's just not what I do with my leisure time. I know there are a lot of people that love watching movies, know all the movie lines and can name all the actors. My friend's boyfriend is one of those. The other day we were talking and I mentioned to him that I had never seen Jaws.

He thought I was crazy, a weirdo, someone who needed to be schooled immediately about fish and boats and Richard Dryfus. He set up a movie night so I could come over and be a real American, so I could see this movie that Everyone else had seen years ago (particularly if you are my age).

source
So I watched it. It was pretty good. I can't say that I have really been missing anything. And I am not sure it had the same effect on me that it would have if I had watched it when I was 8, not only because the scare factor would have been greater, but also in the 80s they didn't have some of the cool special effects that they have now, so that shark was probably awesome.

My boyfriend also made me watch The Godfather (I) in the same kind of "You must watch this! This is a classic movie" attitude as my friend's boyfriend. I thought it too was just okay. I still have not seen II or III. I am in no hurry.

Now, I did grow up in the 80s in America, so yes, I have seen Princess Bride, Spaceballs and The Star Wars Trilogy; I wasn't born under a rock, but I have missed out on some of the movies that other people consider classics. On this list of the Top 100 80s Movies, I have watched 25 of them. Of the 100 Greatest 70s Movies, I have seen 13. Some favorites: Monty Python and The Holy Grail, Airplane, Grease, The Breakfast Club, and When Harry Met Sally (and not on the list: Goonies). 

What was your favorite movie growing up? How many of the movies on the top 100 lists have you seen? Are you a movie buff?

13 comments:

  1. I've STILL never seen Jaws or any of the Godfather movies! And I always think its funny when people are horrified to discover that you haven't seen a particular movie and feel honor-bound to educate you. This happened to me a lot in college because I largely wasn't allowed to watch movies or tv growing up, so I had a LOT of catching up to do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big movie watcher, either. I'd rather read! I have not seen Jaws. Or any of the Starwars movies. And I don't think I ever will.

    I watched The Godfather in college and was kind of like, meh. Then I re-watched it years later and really liked it. But it is a different movie...

    My favorite movie when I was growing up was Dirty Dancing. My mom would make us fast forward through the racy scenes, but I loved that movie (and still do!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't trust a list of 100 greatest 80's movies that doesn't include the Goonies. It really should be in the top 10.

    I am a total movie buff and watch one almost daily. and even I didn't care for Jaws all that much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge movie buff so I probably haven't seen that many "must-see" movies either. I've never seen Jaws. My boyfriend was shocked when he learned that I'd never seen Star Wars or The Godfather so we slowly watched those over the course of a few months' worth of rainy Sunday afternoons. The verdict? Meh. Although now I sure do get more cultural references that are tied to the moves than I did before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've seen any of the Godfather movies. Airplane is on my husband's favorite list. I have seen a lot of the typical favorite movies, love most 80's movies. It's especially fun to watch them now and see what has held up over time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I better check out that list. I love Goonies by the way. Seen it a million times and even brought the boys by the house that was in the movie (It's in WA). Haven't seen Jaws and only bits and pieces of the Godfather movies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a movie buff either and while I watch my fair share of TV, I'm realizing I would not miss it too much if I had to live without it. I'm finding other things I'd rather waste my free time on - like reading, blogging, and writing.

    I still haven't seen Jaws, but I did go on the Jaws ride at Universal when I was 8 where Jaws basically ATTACKS YOUR BOAT. And yeah, I was on the side that a bloody Jaws comes right up to. Needless to say, I am still terrified of Jaws and will not watch that movie for ANYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like movies but I'll never be one of those people who can quote lines from them or anything. I started watching a few TV shows this year via Hulu. I can watch shows while at work- kind of a nice perk. I don't watch TV much at home though. A movie that I consider a 'classic' is The Burbs. I love The Breakfast Club, the Star Wars movies, Goonies, the Back to the Future movies, Princess Bride, etc. Oh- I checked out your bookshelf page- I've read many of the books you've read but there are so many that I still want to read and haven't. Sadly I've only gotten through three books this year so far. I guess I need to get a move on it and catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely not a huge tv or movie watcher. BUT. Certain ones I can watch over and over. Goonies, Princess Bride, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and all the Bourne Identity movies. LOVE THEM.

    I'm Italian, and as such have seen all the Godfather movies. But. I hated them. BLEH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like a failure. I've seen 48 movies on that Top 100 80s films list.

    There are definitely classic movies that anyone at any age can enjoy. But I think Jaws is not one of them. It's too dated. If you saw it when it was newer, that would be one thing, but it makes perfect sense to me why it wouldn't have the same impact to you seeing it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always the person in our circle of friends that hasn't seen a movie so I'm afraid to even look at the list. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a favorite movie that wasn't made by Disney until I was 13.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so not a huge movie fan.. just saw the 2nd and 3rd Godfather movies on tv recently. I hate movie theaters except for one really old one in my marina town. I WILL go to a Tuesday afternoon $5 matinee there! Saw Calendar Girls there - Helen Mirren - and loved it.

    I think that the last 'current' movie I saw was The King's Speech, last year, and liked it too.

    There won't be any Hunger Games for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing post! I initially found your blog a week or so ago, and I want to subscribe to your RSS feed.Michael tsoukas

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!