6.26.2023

Blast From The Past

You know you are getting older when you start reminiscing about the "good old days" or how kids have it so much better than we did or how you can't believe how much candy bars or pay phones cost these days (they are no longer a nickel, grandpa!) Oh wait, we don't really use pay phones anymore? Exactly. However, despite the fact that this will prove my age, I am going to do just that! Here are a few things that bring back fond memories of times past. 

The princess telephone with the long cord that you used to drag into your room so that you could sit and chat with your girlfriends for hours even though you had seen them all day at school. I don't know what we talked about, but we talked forever! My parents used to have to drag me off the phone and I remember getting call waiting, which was like really out of this world at the time. Also, remember getting star 69 and thinking how sophisticated that was, although I was not (and am not still) a big fan of calling back an unknown number to ask them if they had just called me. 

Vienna sausages: maybe this is just something that my family ate, but we ate these a lot. My brother's specialty was Vienna sausages with scrambled eggs with too much garlic. We called them "Dracula's Death." Remember how the little sausages were all stuck together and they slide out in a clump with their attached meaty Jell-O juice like a baby from the womb? It is kind of gross but I would probably still eat them if I was out camping. They are kind of a right place, right time kind of food. We also ate many other canned meats such as corned beef hash, spam and deviled ham. 

Color block clothing: I know this is back in style, but I think it was the style of clothes that I wore when my Mom picked my outfit, not the one I wore when I could pick out my own garb (no offense Mom!) She also dressed me in skirts, which didn't really take, and when I finally bought my own clothes I was a tomboy all the way. I still prefer pants over skirts but have come around a little towards wearing stripes from time to time recently.

Nice sweater! I am about 10 years old.

Passing notes in class. It is so sad that everyone just texts now because it was so fun to pass notes in class! Sometimes we would have three or four people on the note and we would pass it around in circles. Mostly we wrote about the following topics: why one person was mad at the other, which boys we liked, what the boys were doing, why we thought they were doing that, who liked who, who was going out with who, what we were going to do after school, what we were going to do that weekend or who had just broken up with who. Very riveting stuff, but very important at the time, and I guess actually not much different than what some of us still talk about now. 

Nylons: this is not from my childhood, but for my first job (and for several years) I had to wear nylons every day. I finally (just a few weeks ago) threw out my bag of used (but perfectly good) nylons and donated several unopened packages (that cost me about $10 a pop but probably have a value of about $0.01 now!) of nylons. I don't know why I was keeping them, as I have not worn nylons in at least about 20 years! The hoarder tendency of keeping things because they are "still perfectly fine" or "I may use them someday" runs strong in this family (but that deserves it's own post!)

Mixed Tapes: I know that now you can share a Spotify playlist, but it just doesn't have the same charm as the songs that you taped from the radio which had the announcer talking over them and the station identifier in the middle of the songs, along with any background noises from the house. I still have one that I got from a friend and I am pretty sure it starts off with the Rick Astley song Never Going to Give You Up and also has a Firehouse song on it. Good times. Gotta love the 80s. 

I am off to find my old cassette player!

Requesting a Song on the Radio: not only did we listen to the radio a lot, but did you ever DEDICATE a song to someone? I did and then we sat in front of the radio forever waiting for it to air. I think the only time I did it, it was the song So Happy Together by the Turtles and it had nothing to do with me liking or being with the person, I just liked the song and thought it was so cool to hear my and my friend's name out loud where anyone could hear it (seems pretty tame now with all of the social media though)! 

Did you do any of these things? What things from your childhood do your friends or your kids think are ridiculous or funny? 

18 comments:

  1. I remember requesting songs on the radio specifically so that I could tape them. I finally got rid of my last cassette player and all my cassettes a few years ago. I've also purged most of my VCR tapes and might I ONLY SAID MIGHT considering finally getting rid of them the next time we declutter.

    I encountered a working phone booth on vacation a few weeks ago! I was so shocked when I picked up the receiver and heard a dial tone. I didn't know that those existed anywhere on earth still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have some cassettes and a player that has CD and tape that I will probably keep until it breaks. I mean, let's not even start talking about how many CDs I have (that I don't really listen to anymore)! Actually you have inspired me to move it from the garage to the living room and either use it or lose it. Thanks! Now, onto VCR tapes...I still have them and my Mom still has a VCR! So I will probably see if she wants them and then give them away? I think a lot of our old family movies are probably not in the best quality anymore, which is sad, but I guess that is life.

      Re phone booths YES! My brother and I saw one on the side of the highway and thought it was so funny that it was still there that we flipped around and went and took a photo of it!

      Delete
  2. Some of these resonate with me - like the long phone cord and endless conversations/call waiting/*69. I don't know that I've ever had vienna sausages but I can picture what you are describing! Mixed tapes and CDs were huge. I remember recording songs off the radio onto a cassette tape.

    My childhood is so completely different from my kids, it's probably unimaginable to them. There will have more people in their graduating class than lived in my town! I had so much freedom since I lived in a tiny rural town. So I could bike around very easily. That will not really be the case for my kids. It will be hard to just let them roam although by the time we let them do that, they'll probably have apple watch type of devices so I can track them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a very similar childhood to you, as you know. We ran free pretty much. In fact, we were even allowed to go to the river and go swimming in the summer. My friend's 9 year old has an Apple watch because she gets nervous and needed a way to communicate with her mother (my friend was late for pickup one day and the daughter was distraught), but I think about how many times my Dad left me waiting for him at the library, and I turned out okay (right?!) so I wonder sometimes if these things are a help or a hinderance. Of course it is easy to judge, and it is also easy to be amazed at the things that the kids have that we did not have, but I guess all generations end up doing that eventually.

      Delete
  3. I have taken to photographing payphones whenever I see them. It seems like such an old-fashioned touch these days.

    Mixed cassette tapes and mixed CDs were such a delight. I guess it's the equivalent of making someone a playlist now, but the romance of a having a physical item is lost.

    This was such a great list - definitely a great trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother and I did the same thing when we were on a road trip and we saw a payphone on the side of the highway (not even close to a town, although I suppose that IS where it is really needed!) We flipped the car around and went and took a photo of it; it was like seeing an ivory billed woodpecker! We were so excited. In San Francisco they were used too much for drug deals and so they took most of them out in the 90s but you will see one now and again.

      Re the romance, that is an interesting thing to think about, as I think a lot of things (maybe this is just my family) are done or are kept due to the romance of the physical thing, but I do think that is getting less and less? Or maybe that is just me? Now we just put stuff in the cloud with the reassurance that it will be there when we need it, but we used to cherish these things and take care of them and hold them for our heirs and now we throw a lot of stuff away.

      Delete
  4. OMG yes, yes, yes! Passing notes=students practice actual writing. Mix tapes: showing how much you like someone. Requesting a song on the radio: oh my heart. Absolutely. Just send me back to the early 90s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do the kids make Spotify playlists now to show how much they like someone? Or has that method of affection gone the way of the dodo? My friend's 9 year old did tell me that she had to practice her cursive the other day, so I guess they are still teaching that in school! I got horrible grades in handwriting so I would be (and am) glad to not have to actually write too much (although I love reading my grandmother's handwritten journals).

      Delete
  5. Oooh I love all of this! Mix tapes! Requesting songs from the radio! REQUESTING SONGS TO TAPE ON MIX TAPES!!! I used to wait for the song to come on and then frantically press the record button, and there was always some DJ chatter at the front/ end of the song.
    I think that texting/ messaging is today's equivalent of passing notes in class. I recently found a box that had old notes my friends had written and it was so fun to read them.
    I used to spend so many hours on the phone with the cord stretched into another room so no one could hear the important conversations that I was having!
    I still wear a kind of nylon or tights when I'm dressing up! I bought a pair of Sheertex which really hold up. I used to wear them all the time for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still wear nylons! I definitely kept the tights that I have as they are a great way to be able to wear a dress when it is cold, but I did finally get rid of all of the nylons as I do not wear them even when I dress up. I think the weather may have something to do with this though, as it gets less cold here less often so I am just sweaty and slippery when I wear nylons! Plus after I started wearing open toed shoes you had to get those little grippers so your feet would not slide around too much and it was really just a pain. I prefer going bare (although my varicose veins may tell me otherwise soon!)

      Delete
  6. Oh man, recording songs from the radio and making mix tapes. Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not even remember how to do that now! How did we figure that out?! I also remember having way cooler cousins and discovering Madonna and then my cousin let me keep her Madonna tape and I listened to Spanish Lullaby (La Isla Bonita) over and over and over...

      Delete
  7. Oooooh... I remember ALL these things, with the exception of the sausages. Not sure why we didn't have those! But the phone, passing notes in class (so fun) nylons (not fun) but best of all those tapes. Yes, I would record songs off the radio. I would LOVE to have those old tapes now! I wonder what happened to them- they were probably thrown away which is very sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting better and better at throwing that kind of stuff away, especially when it starts to become difficult to even listen to it or use it because you need some device that is basically obsolete now. I still have some VCR tapes but no VCR so I am not sure what to do with them! However, I do still have a cassette player, so I should go and have a walk down memory lane before it falls apart too.

      Delete
  8. Oh I love this list! I remember I used to send faxes to a local radio station to ask them to play a song. My mom had a fax machine and I would always draw a picture or something to try and get my song on the air! I also remember winning a blondie CD once. Good times!

    Also, I loved mixed tapes (and CDs) but I recently found a box of my own mixed CDs and ended up chucking them all away because they were more for the memories than for actually playing now... probably because 38 year old me cannot really abide by the musical tastes of 18 year old me (why did I put that "hey shortie it's your birthday" on every CD?)

    Long cords for the phone were amazing. *69 was like some creepy miracle where you could find out who called you, but only if they picked up!

    Thanks for this awesome list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have all of my mixed CDs, but I only have three players for them. One is an OLD stereo that I keep in my garage for when I am working in there; this also has a cassette player! The other is an old computer, which is on it's LAST legs and I am actually just trying to make sure I have all of the data off of it before doing a cleanse and giving it away/recycling it. My car actually has a CD player but I am guessing that as soon as I get rid of it, whatever new car I get will not (I don't know; can you still get a car with a CD player?) After that I won't really have a way to play them anyway...but I can't throw them away!

      Delete
  9. I think I'm a few years younger than you (maybe?!?) so not all of these resonate (I finished 5th grade at the end of the 90s), but many of them do. I remember mixed CDs more than I remember mixed tapes. But I do have a very specific memory of waiting for a song to come on the radio so I could tape it! Also: Blockbuster! Man, it was so much fun to go to Blockbuster on Friday to pick out the movie we wanted to rent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I remember when Netflix first started and you could get a disk sent to you in the mail; it was the coolest thing ever. I got the entire season of Sex and The City (eventually) and watched them all in a row, which was not really a thing before that (like, you could wait for the reruns, or I guess get it at Blockbuster, which I never did). Actually it is a little bit sad that THAT is also now ending, and we will only have streaming now.

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!