7.13.2017

Looking Back: June

June is a transitional month, one of warm days and long nights. It is a month where your 5 am run is barely even in the dark. It is a month of planning days and weekends and weeks in the future.

Running: Although this was not my highest mileage week, it was a monumental one, in which I finished a 100 mile race near Bryce Canyon in Utah! In the past several months, I was starting to get a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to do it. However, in the weeks before, and definitely once I started the race, I knew I was going to see that finish line by hook or by crook. I ended up the month with 196 miles, 100 of them due to the race, and I climbed about 30,000 feet.

Reading: Due to a bit of travel as well as an increase of audio book time, I ended up reading 8 books in June. Many of them were just so-so, but there were a few standouts, such as Small Great Things, which is about racial issues, and To the Bright Edge of the World, a story about Alaskan exploration.

The Bones of Paris ***
The Aviators Wife ***
Small Great Things ****
Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? ***
To The Bright Edge of the World ****
American Sniper ***
Minding Frankie ***
Evicted ***

Travel: I feel like I was barely home in June, as I spent two weekends in Santa Cruz and one in Bryce Canyon. The Santa Cruz trips were full of visiting and walking and seaside views, while the Bryce trip was hot and sweaty and beautiful in an entirely different way. I will let a few photos do the talking for this.

Holy hot, batman! Bryce, UT (photo credit: E.V.)

Willis Creek, UT (photo credit: C.A.)

  
Fall Creek, Felton, CA


Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Etc.: What else is happening? Not much! The garden is growing, but the yard is not mowing itself unfortunately, so most of my spare time has been spent just barely keeping things from looking like a hillbilly lives at my house!

Purposeful cucumbers and volunteer tomatoes -- mid June

Plums! Mid June

Tomato Jungle and volunteer squash -- Mid June

Corn, I hope. Beginning of June

Radish! Get out the salt!

Tomato Ladder, beginning of June
What did you do in June? What was your favorite book? Have you done anything new or exciting lately?

4 comments:

  1. Your 100 mile race, WOW! Love the travel pictures! I love how the world can be so breathtakingly beautiful in so many different ways!!! Fingers crossed for your corn! I think that's the one thing that failed in our garden this year. The tomatoes have been amazing!!! Thanks to my Kindle Paperwhite (because all of my reading is currently poolside) I've picked back up on my reading and it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completing the 100 mile race is such an unbelievable accomplishment! I'm glad you got that monkey off your back as I know it was tough to not finish last week (although that was out of your control with your back injury). You saw a lot of beautiful areas in June and I know July has been a great month with your trip to Oregon! Have you decided where to go for your big vacation in August (or is it September?).

    June felt like a blur. I spent time recovering from the wedding, getting our house back in order, and getting rid of as much wedding stuff as I could - which felt good! I also finished my thank yous (and Phil finished his last night so they are officially done)! I spent one weekend at the lake. The weather was so so but it was nice to spend Father's Day with my dad. The best book I read was "Behold the Dreamers" which I loved and will probably make my best books of the year list. I didn't do anything exciting since I was coming off a couple of months of excitement between the wedding and honeymoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooo happy for you that your race went well and you managed to complete it! Such a huge milestone! So are you going to keep doing 100-milers or are you going to "scale back" to 50k's and 100k's?? ;)

    June was a good month for me! Nothing too terribly exciting or interesting to report honestly. Eric only had 2 weekends off the whole month and the second one we went camping which was super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You finally finished a hundo? Congratulations!! I'm sure it was beautiful, can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!