7.07.2011

No Work Chili

There are many ways you can make this. Add whatever you want! Sometimes I use real beans. Sometimes I make it with a ton of veggies (almost like soup). Sometimes I use veggie meat or ground turkey instead of beef. However, this time I did it the quick and dirty way, which, if you are short on time, is a great way to have a hearty meal with barely any work. Also, as a bonus, this is fairly low in calories and fat, depending on serving size (see stats at bottom). AND it’s gluten, dairy and nut free. AND it’s cheap and easy. What more can you ask for?

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, rough chopped (don’t waste time making tiny pieces!)
1 clove garlic, rough chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste

1 can each (usually 16 oz) of:
Black Beans
Kidney Beans (or any bean you want! I also like pinto if I do it fresh)
Corn
Diced Tomatoes
Olives
Mexican Tomato Sauce (Salsa de Chile Fresco or Jalapeno Salsa. I use El Pato. It comes in an 8 oz can)

Quack, quack. This gives it a little kick!
(optional: green bell peppers, real jalapenos, cayenne pepper)

In a large pot (big enough for everything), brown hamburger meat with onions and garlic.

Once hamburger is cooked, add all cans of everything, including liquids.

Cook for about 2-3 hours, or longer if you want.

Eat it! I usually like it even more the 2nd day which works with this recipe, since it makes a lot. 

Yummy! (as you can see, I don't even cut the olives. Super lazy!)
Makes: 15 x 2/3 cup servings
1 serving = 183 cal/4.9 g fat/22.8 carb/14 g protein.

Cost: $0.49/serving.

(** or 10 x 1 cup servings. Nutrition for 1 c serving:  274 calories. Cost: $0.73/serving)

This post is being linked up with:

Weekend Bloggy Reading

2 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious! I am all about easy recipes, especially when it's so hot out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god this sounds deliciously easy! Thanks for sharing - I think I'll totally try this in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!