9.21.2020

Groundhog Day

Along with the phrase, "doing twice as much and only getting half as much done," I have heard the words "groundhog day" a lot in the last six months. If you have not seen the movie, which features Bill Murray, it basically is about a man who repeats the same day over and over. Much like most of us have been doing for the last six months! I was making my coffee the other day and it hit me hard for some reason and I thought it would be fun (or extremely boring) to go over what a normal groundhog day entails these days. 

I may not be quite as groundhoggy as some, as I have been going into the office since day one, but I still do get that "every day is the same" feeling! Here's what a day in the life looks like. 

3:30 am (yes, you read that right): get up

3:30 am - 3:50 am: bathroom break, brush teeth, make coffee and breakfast, eat, get lunch ready

3:50 am - 4:30 am: study

4:30 am - 4:40 am: work on journal (this is something I have been doing each morning for 10 minutes)

4:40 am - 4:50 am: read blogs or work on blog (another 10 minute/day goal)

4:50 am - 5:00 am: get dressed, let the cat out, pack lunch, fill water bottles with ice

5:00 am - 5:20 am: drive to work

5:20 am - 2:30 pm: work

2:30 pm - 3:10 pm: drive home (takes about a half an hour but sometimes longer with traffic)

3:10 pm - 4:00 pm: chores (water plants, empty dishwasher) and make/eat dinner or snack

4:00 pm - 6:00 pm: study (or run on non-study day)

6:00 pm - 7:30 pm: read books, catch up on news, do chores,  research vacations that ultimately get canceled, etc.

7:30 pm / 8:00 pm: bed time

Then repeat! Seriously, these days a trip to the grocery store is like a vacation, and a vacation is...well, what is a vacation? 

Are you experiencing this phenomena? What does your groundhog day look like? 

2 comments:

  1. OMG your day starts soooo early!! Have you always gotten up and studied before work? That is something I never did! My schedule was to study for 2 hours 4 nights/week after work and then 5-6 hours on Sat and Sun. I tried to hit 20 hours/week. Man I do NOT miss those days. Phil has a much more low key approach and studied waaaay less. But he kind of has a photographic memory.

    Our week days basically look the same, too. I get up later since I don't have to commute. I sleep in until 6:40, get Paul up, get us our breakfast/snack, and then Phil leaves with Paul around 7ish. He goes into work about 3 days/week so he does drop off/pick up those days. When he works from home, I try to do drop off/pick up. I work from 7:30-4 or 5ish and try to take a walk around lunch time to get some fresh air at least 3-4 days/week. Paul and Phil get home around 4:45 most days and I play with Paul until I need to start dinner which is usually around 5ish. We eat between 5:30-6, I give Paul his bath, we watch Wheel of Fortune and then Phil does bedtime. Then Phil and I watch a show together (currently watching season 2 of Alone) and then I go downstairs to bed around 8:30-8:45 and read until 9. There is very little variation but that's ok because I'm kind of a schedule person but I do miss having more variety in my days like getting lunch out once/week and things like that.

    You must get up that early on the weekend, too, as I think you sent me an email around 5:30CST this weekend! You amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!