8.05.2020

Coffee Talk

If we were having coffee today, I would start off by telling you that I have started taking my coffee with coconut oil. It makes me feel fuller for longer, therefore keeping me from snacking before I have my lunch (sometimes!) I have also stopped putting any sweetner in my coffee (in fact, my second cup is now black) and I don't really miss it. It is funny what we do just because it is a habit (for years I took milk in my coffee) but once the habit is broken, it doesn't seem so bad. 

I am sure we would talk about the current climate of COVID, as it is something that you really cannot avoid, but I don't really want to focus on that; do you? 

Instead let's talk about our gardens. Do you have one? Mine is kind of small this year. Due to my studying and then the arrival of COVID (I guess it's unavoidable), I ordered plants online and then from a local nursery, but both got planted late and I have not been the best mother to them. I did set up a drip system and I was weeding a lot in the beginning, but in all honesty, that has gone the way of the dodo. Okay, maybe not the dodo, but definitely the black rhino. However, I did get my first tomato a couple of weeks ago and now have picked about six of them and have several more on their way. Also, I have green beans, peppers and lettuce. However, my asparagus, beets and squash decided not to come out and play this year. I think next year, if I am not studying, I will revamp the garden, fertilize it (something I have not really done), add compost, etc. and actually care for it. 2021 is going to be a busy year (hopefully!) 

What book are you reading? I am listening to Becoming Clementine, a book about a WWII woman pilot who joins the resistance in France. I am also reading The Paris Orphan, a book about a WWII woman who becomes a war correspondent in France. I did not do this on purpose, reading two books surrounding the same theme, and to be honest I think I am getting confused from time to time about what woman I am reading about. But both are good so far! Due to COVID, I have been driving to work instead of riding the bus/BART, and so I have been listening to a lot more audiobooks. Last month I think about 50% were audio, when generally it is more like 20%. 

What else is going on in your life? It took me a while, but I finally met up with my parents for a socially distanced visit. My brother and I slept in a tent in the backyard and we had dinner and breakfast outside. It was so nice to see them after 4 months, but I am still wary of bringing something bad from the crowded Bay Area to them in their small town. 

I am also trying (as you can see here) to get back into journaling and blogging a little. I try to do 5 or 10 minutes each day in the morning while my brain is still fresh. I also have a planner (paper) and I have been trying to keep my days more organized. Also I think it feels good to plan something, even if it is just a grocery list or a day working in the yard! I am definitely missing that. 

I bought a dehydrator. I have been wanting to make my own backpacking food for years but never did get around to it, but this year is the year! I have only made dried zucchini so far, but I plan to try to dehydrate entire meals at some point. Have you ever made a dehydrated meal?

What else is new with you? Tell me something interesting! 

12 comments:

  1. I also planted less this year and planted late. My garden looks so lame compared to everyone else's and it has so many weeds. Phil jokes that I will get kicked out of the community garden. ;) But with it being about a mile away, it can be hard to get there to weed. I have picked lots of green beans and have some more romaine lettuce to harvest soon. I had beets earlier in the season and they were great. I tried to plant more but they did not come up. I also harvested radishes and they were amazing! I'm hoping my cucumbers will have fruit by the time we come back from the lake. I had to replant them in late June as the first seeds I planted didn't grow. So it's been a pretty hit or miss year for me!

    I have never eaten or made a dehydrated meal! But I don't camp like you do! My favorite dehydrated food is mango! It's so expensive, though, so I don't buy it very often. I should get some soon and enjoy it because I know I will end up with gestational diabetes since i can't see to get off prednisone and dried fruit has too much sugar for the gestational diabetes diet.

    I'm glad you finally got to see your parents! I've also been paranoid about infecting my parents, especially since Paul is in daycare. We haven't seen them since our FL trip in February. We facetime every weekend but it's not the same. We are getting tested for covid on Friday morning and will head up after. It was the only way I felt that we could visit them. The alternative would be to pull Paul out of daycare for 10 days and then go visit them, but I couldn't bear to take him out for that much time since he's already been out for 7 weeks during Mar/Apr and I"m sure we'll have to pull him around when the baby is born.

    Nothing new or interesting with me that you don't already know!!! Life is pretty quiet these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get a real garden at all this year, but we did re-landscape the front yard which wiped out all of my raised beds :( and I do miss it. Speaking of missing, I also haven't seen my parents since Christmas! While I don't mind not having the chore of going to SC, this has been really hard not being able to see them at all.

    Also, I started using Noom trying to lose some lbs and get my mind right about it. Pretty interesting and efficient approach, I really like it. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!