5.08.2017

Looking Back: April

And then it was April. With it comes the start of baseball season, the tiny curling leaves of the tomato plant and the knowledge that before you know it, summer will be here!

Running: This month should have been one of my higher ones due to upcoming long races. However, a fluke pinched nerve in my back caused over a week of rest, which threw me back a bit. In the end, total miles run ended up being about 211 with about 32,000 feet of climbing. My next race is the Quicksilver 100k and I feel a bit under-trained but will see how things go! As for biking miles, I logged a big fat zero again. Shame on me.

Reading: Lucky for my reading goals, I had over a week where I was unable to do pretty much anything, so I got a lot of reading done! In April, I read 10 books. I knocked off another book from my own shelf (in bold) and also read a few goodies to boot! I actually gave four stars to five of them, which is saying a lot for me (I almost never give five stars and don't give four very often either). In order of favorites, here is what I read last month.

The Underground Railroad ****
The Year of Yes (audio book, read by the author) ****
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle ****
Love Warrior ****
Hillbilly Elegy ****
The Paris Winter (audio book) ***
Modern Romance ***
The World We Found ***
Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget ***
Seven Brief Lessons of Physics ***

Travel: I spent a great weekend up at my parents house on Easter weekend, doing some snowshoeing and hiking and eating. We went snowshoeing at an old ski hill and we were the only ones out there aside from the mountain lions (we saw fresh prints but no cats) and the birds. It was a great way to get some sunshine and fresh air and exercise!

The Parentals


I also went on my semi-annual New York work trip, which was a lot of fun and another successful trip. It was a nice change from last time, when it was cold and snowy and icy and wet! It was in the 80s and I added on a couple extra days in order to spend some time with some old friends who I haven't seen in about 7 years!

The East River

Bonus: I know you are wondering....but what about the garden? Well... I can happily say that I reorganized the back yard, set up the drip system, and planted a bunch of tomatoes, basil, cucumbers, peppers, beans, beets, radishes and carrots. Unfortunately, I have a pest (slugs?) that loves vegetables as much as I do, and it has eaten everything but the tomatoes and radishes. I saved one pepper from certain death by moving it to a pot on the porch, but I think I will have to replant a lot of things. Boo hoo. Back to square one.

Meow!

What was your favorite part of April? Are you stingy or generous with your five star reviews? What is your favorite spring activity?

6 comments:

  1. That sucks that slugs or whatever the culprit was ate most of your garden! How heart breaking!! I will be planting my garden this coming weekend. I helped get the garden beds ready on Earth day. Can't wait to plant, although I am dreading putting the fence up because it's so much work! But it's necessary with all the squirrels and rabbits that live in our area!!

    The best parts of April for me were my wedding showers and Easter! I have become less stingy with my ratings lately and have given out more 5 star ratings because that's a good way for people who use my read list to know which books to focus in on (I know of several people that use my reading list to come up with what they will read!). My favorite spring activity is gardening and being able to run outdoors again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the garden straightens out soon! There are plenty of slug repellents out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks about your garden! Also I would have had a heart attack seeing a fresh mountain lion track like that! ha ha. April was a very busy month for me and so far May has been as well - our trip had a lot to do with that! Can't wait to see you next week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing this good blog.
    this good trip.
    visit here
    gclub จีคลับ
    gclub online
    baccarat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It looks so beautiful place and pictures in your post. I really like that place. Thanks for sharing it.
    same day jaipur tour from delhi
    golden triangle tour with ajmer and pushkar

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you site is very nice and look so beautiful . travels is very important and necessary for us. there are many travel service but i will provide you best and trusted travels service remidies travel here. For more information please visit our site and following this link remedies travel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!