7.17.2015

The Big One Elizabeth

Eleanor Roosevelt said to, "Do something every day that scares you". 

In less than 24 hours, I will be toeing the line of the Tahoe Rim Trail 100 mile trail race. I would like to say I am totally prepared, because usually I am good at planning and setting goals and executing those goals. However, this time, that has not been the case. I can make all kinds of excuses, but the bottom line really is the fact that I re-prioritized my free time and running took second seat to several other things in my life. 

I am scared, Eleanor. 

Flume Trail in Winter

Marlette Lake in Winter

When I signed up for this race last December, I was in my running prime. I had just placed in both a 50 mile race and a 50k race. I was ramping up my training and I was running up the hills with gusto! I had thoughts in my mind that I may try to place in a very important 100k in March and that maybe I would even get a sub 28 hour at TRT. 

Then I got injured, ramped up my hours at work, bought a house and started drinking heavily. Okay, that last part is a joke, but seriously, I started eating worse, exercising less and in no time at all, it was July and I had not even completed half of my necessary training.

What will this mean for me tomorrow? 

To start off, I am going into this with the thought in my mind that it is just a really long two day hike. The cutoff time to finish this race is 35 hours. Even the very fast guys do it in no less than 18. To finish in 35 hours, I would need to keep my pace just under 3 miles an hour. So, I could walk a lot of it and still finish in time. 

I may be walking a lot of it. 

I plan to start off at a run and see how far I get. There are a few gradual downhills which I know I can jog no matter what (even during the 2nd 50 miles). There are a couple steep uphills (think 1.5 miles with 1,200 feet of climbing) where I will barely make 1 - 2 miles per hour. 

What worries me the most? 

Of course I am competitive and I would like to do well, but I have mostly thrown that out the window. I just want to finish. However, the part which will be the most difficult will be the night portion. During the night, there is a loop called the Red House Loop, which is a 6 mile loop with about a 2 mile steep downhill (loss of about 1,000 feet) and then a 4 mile gradual to steep uphill. This loop is not fun in the daytime and it will be even less fun at night. 

The race motto is, "A Glimpse of Heaven; a Taste of Hell". The Red House Loop is the taste of Hell. 

On the other hand, there are many Glimpses of Heaven. So I will enjoy those and not think too much about the tastes of Hell. 

If you want to follow me, I will be running from Saturday at 5 am PST to Sunday around Noon (*cutoff is at 4 pm). The live tracker is HERE. Also, my brother will be pacing me and should be tweeting when possible (the service in the mountains is not great). You can find his twitter feed HERE Otherwise, just send good juju my way this weekend because I will need it! 

What are you up to this weekend? 

8 comments:

  1. HOLY CRAP. Will be thinking of you this weekend and sending SO MANY good luck thoughts your way. I know you can do this and when your body feels done just dig deep mentally. I truly believe you have it in you both physically and mentally to finish. Are you able to have a pacer at any part of that? I hope so! That would probably help a lot, but even if you don't I know you'll do amazing - GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK!!! I am will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping that all is going well. I'm glad that your brother will be out there pacing you. I am sure it will help tremendously to have his support out there. I can't even wrap my mind around running (or walking) 100 miles so props to you for taking on this challenge. I know that the training didn't play out the way that you wanted it to, but sometimes life gets in the way...

    You are so mentally and physically tough - I know you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Kyria! At least you know you can walk a lot and still make the cut off if needed. Just take it one mile at a time (or however you want to break it up). I know some people do the marathon thinking about it as two halfs and a 10K, although maybe in 100 miles it's better to just zone out and not think about what mile you're in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck this weekend! I hope you have an amazing race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME! You do things that I would never even dream of doing so you be I will be following along! Best wishes to you and GO GET IT! I know you will have fabulous pictures to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so exciting! An undertaking I'd never dream of! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!