7.29.2013

Limited Time & Another Soup

Lately it's been...well...summer time...and it's been full of fun things on both the weekdays and the weekends, which means limited time to plan and cook meals. So I have been doing what I usually do, cooking one big pot of something and eating it throughout the week. I always like making soups; they are chock full of veggies and are a great way to get a nutritional meal in a relatively compact way.

I know summer is not really the time you would normally think of soups, but this soup is so good and it's made from fresh summer squash so you really can't get much fresher! I also love it because you can cut everything up the day before and just put it all together when you are ready. Also, once it's in the pot, you can "set it and forget it" for a while. It's really no work at all!

Summer Squash Soup*

1 tsp olive oil
1 1/4 cup onion, diced
3 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp jalapeno, diced (I used a diablo pepper instead)
1 1/3 cup celery
2 cups gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
dash white pepper
4 cups chicken broth
6 cups yellow summer squash
1 tsp oregano
.5 tsp turmeric
salt to taste

(PS I didn't have turmeric and it was still good)

Heat oil, add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapenos and cook for about 2 minutes. Add everything else but the turmeric and let boil for about 30 - 40 minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add turmeric and put in blender / use immersion blender to blend everything together.

You can put half of it into a gallon freezer bag and flatten it and freeze it for later, but it also keeps pretty great in the fridge (1 week +).

*Recipe from here

What recipes do you turn to when you're busy? What is your favorite summer recipe?

5 comments:

  1. Haven't made a summer soup but hey anything that uses up a ton of squash is fair game. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of getting everything ready before actually cooking. There are times when I'll do meal prep before work and during lunch (on the days I work from home) and actually cook the meal at dinner time. Otherwise, I could easily spend 90 minutes getting dinner together and that's never fun when everyone is so darn hungry. This week, I will be making a big pasta salad, heavy on red peppers, broccoli and tomatoes ... we will bring it camping this weekend and use it for lunches and to supplement dinner. I love when meals can serve multiple purposes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to make summer soup! I've been out of the cooking habit the last few weeks, need to get back on track soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup is a great summer meal. I love to throw things in the crock pot in the morning and by dinner time everything is ready. Soup would be a great option:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds good. I love making chili and soup in the fall but I forget about making summer soups.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!