8.02.2012

Missed the Boat

Sometimes I find out about things a little late. I see them and think, "wow that's cool", and I go running to a friend and say, "have you heard about this!!?" and they say, "yeah, that's been around forever".

Oh.

But I don't care. I am still excited because it's new to me. Here are a few things I have recently found about about and like. You may have heard about them, maybe even months or years ago, but they are new to me!

NextBus: This is an app, or website, where you can see when the bus or train you want is arriving in real time. Often I use Google Maps, as it has transit information, but it only has the "scheduled" time, not the actual time, which can be VERY different! You can even set up auto alerts to warn you when you are about to miss your bus let you know when your bus is on it's way. This site works for several cities in the US and Canada. Maybe yours is on the list!



Safeway: If you have a Safeway card, you can either go online or download an app where you can add coupons straight to the card. No more clipping coupons; just add it to the card and when you get up front, put in your number or swipe your card and voila! A discount! Don't worry Mom, I already set your card up and loaded all the coupons! You can also make a shopping list, check the weekly ads and email them to  yourself.

(You can also print out coupons from the Target website and the Hyvee website; you can upload them to your card on the P&G website).

PayByPhone: If you live in the city, you know what a pain it is to have to feed the meter all the time. This app lets you park and then pay automatically with your phone. Here is an article with more info.

Nutritional Yeast: Yup, I finally tried it. The price ($30/lb) at my local store was off-putting, until I realized that a whole scoop only weighs practically nothing, so it's not as expensive as I thought. Plus I found it for a good price at the Berkeley Bowl's bulk aisle. I put it on popcorn last night with a little salt. It was delicious!

Couscous Salad: I have made Quinoa salad and pasta salad and bean salad and rice salad, but I never jumped on the couscous bandwagon. Yesterday I had some fresh veggies in the garden, so I used them to make a couscous salad with tomatoes, green beans, mint, basil, lemon, red bell pepper, olive oil, feta cheese and a bit of salt. I ate three servings of it in one go!

Kinvaras: I ran a race last weekend wearing the Kinvara 3 and it was good. My feet were a little sore since it was a trail race and the shoes don't have a lot of support, but other than that, they were great! I may add Saucony to my list of approved running shoes!

Next up: commando running! 

What is new to you that other people may have been using for a while!? What's a cool and useful thing that I should know about?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, the parking meter app sounds awesome! You will have to let me know how the commando running goes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much cool stuff happening w smart phones these days. Truly, I am terrible about taking advantage of it all. Thanks for cluing me in on some new ones!

    Ok, so last night I was watching the beach volleyball and noticed the bad lines in the players tights--they were clearly still wearing their bathing suit bottoms. All I could think of was how much more comfortable they'd be if they just went commando! Running shorts, tights, etc. are all made for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I can't even think of anything cool to suggest! I feel like I am a late adopter of new/exciting products! I miss couscous. I love that stuff, but it has gluten so is off limits. But luckily quinoa is a pretty good replacement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some really neat apps. I don't think we have a Safeway close to us. Glad you had a good race in your Kinvaras!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One more tidbit about the couscous... did you know you don't need to cook it? I make what I like to call Dashboard Couscous... just add your favorite liquid 2 to 1 to the couscous and leave it on the counter for a couple of hours and it will plump up ... give it a stir and it is ready. Great for takealong lunch.

    I like to use canned tomatoes, or flavorful broth or even tea.

    We have that pay by phone parking here now too but I haven't tried it yet. And I am gonna look at that Safeway thing.. not sure if we have it in Canada or not.

    Loved this post... you are so darn creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That parking meter app sounds fantastic. I love apps - people are so stinking creative.

    I didn't know that about Couscous (Elle's suggestion). Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of NextBus, but that sounds awesome. I wish I lived somewhere that public transportation was more feasible. But that's great for traveling, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Commando running? Now that sounds interesting, and very brave! Unfortunately, I can't give you any gadget advice, as I am pretty much technology illiterate. I can tell you though, that you should read the book Before I Go to Sleep, if you haven't already. A real pager turner fiction. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!