7.16.2012

Monday Misc

- The other day I met up with Jill and B for a couple of drinks and some chatter. We had a bunch of great conversations, one of which was the fact that Jill did not put on pants and I was wearing a sports bra. B was of the mind that we should have both tried harder to look presentable, but I was happy that Jill and I were of the same mind set. I guess what I am trying to say is that most bloggers I have met have been exactly how they seemed like they would be from their blogs. Thank goodness. I hope that I am the same!

- Speaking of other bloggers, I don't think I mentioned S & R. I have probably talked about them before, since they were the ones who gave us the tent. We met this couple while traveling in Malawi a couple of years ago. They were nice and fun and we ended up hanging out together for a few days before parting ways. We have kept in touch and VOILA, last week they had a wedding to go to in Santa Cruz and they came and stayed with us and we had a great time! This is why I love travel. You meet people that are kindred spirits. You invite them to come and stay with you and you MEAN IT! It's great.

- I don't have TV at home. No TV. No cable. No satellite. I like it this way. This is not strange to me. I grew up without TV and never really got into the habit of watching TV as a way to wind down. Don't talk to me about Gilligan's Island. I know there is a hot girl and a sailor, but I am not sure about the rest of the show. A lot of people find this weird. I find it weird that we have gotten so used to having TV that it seems strange NOT to have one. I am not saying that if you do have one and/or watch it that there is anything wrong with that. I am not saying that I don't watch Top Chef from time to time. I am just saying that there is a lot of crap on TV these days and I don't want to get sucked into it. And I would, because I DO have an addictive personality. So I just avoid it all together.

- I have not felt like running lately. I still want to run, but I don't really want to do the work. I want the effect I get from running, because afterward I always feel great, but I am feeling super, SUPER lazy and unmotivated these days. I think I hit a tiny training wall. Luckily last week was a step back week, so hopefully I will start this week off on the right foot!

- Right now for book club, we are reading Cutting for Stone. I am about half way through. So far, so good! Have you read it? What do you think? No spoilers!

How was your weekend? Do you ever meet up again with people from  your travels? What about blog friends? Do they seem the way they portray on their blogs?

15 comments:

  1. Ironically, I just blogged about my weekend and not wanting to run. I love how you explained it as wanting the effect from running but not wanting to put in the work.

    I'm not a TV watcher. It is not unusual for me to go weeks without watching any TV at all. Too many other things I would rather do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, every blogger I have met has been exactly how I expected them to be! I've had great experiences and many bloggers are people I consider my closest friends!

    I hope you get your running mojo back! A step back week is usually good for you when you do hit a wall. I struggled to fit runs in while on vacation, but had a great 16 mile run on Saturday, so feel like things are back on track. I wasn't the least bit sore the next day, so I think my body is in better shape than i thought it was!

    I loved Cutting for Stone. It took me awhile to get into it, but it was a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a TV but no cable or converter box, so the only thing we watch on it is Netflix...which is not very often. It's awesome how much extra time I have since we don't have cable! I used to have cable and I spent soooo much time watching tv, plus it's really expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have cable at our house. I'll watch a little TV once in awhile and sometimes even get hooked on a show (Walking Dead) but that's about it. A lot of the time I find TV boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband is addicted to tv and watches a whole bunch of shows that he records on the dvr. While he watches, I usually read or catch up on blogs. But we should make more of an effort to go out and do stuff.

    I have been struggling to run well all summer. I'm not sure what my problem is. Maybe it's because I no longer have a gym membership, so I feel like running is more or less my only way to really exercise right now...? I hope you get your motivation back soon. Maybe a fun day of cross-training is in order to let you recharge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had so much fun....yes I did wear a surfer skort and you a sports bra and so it goes.....B was the only one who changed for us! Shower...what's that...takes up time when you have to get to the bar!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only met two people from blogging IRL, but they were both super awesome and exactly as I expected them to be. I think I probably come off more shy than I seem and it takes me a while to warm up to anyone, even bloggers I know well!

    I tend to watch a lot of TV, but it's something that relaxes me and helps me wind down. But I'm sure, if I had to, I could live without it. I know it would be easier to get stuff done, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in the same boat as far as training. I still have over 9 weeks until my marathon and I'm already burnt out. Ugh! If it wasn't 90 degrees everyday I think I'd be more into it.

    Speaking of meeting other bloggers....looks like my husband and I are moving...to the San Francisco area! We don't know exactly when (as early as October, as late as next June), but how crazy, huh? You'll have to let me in on your secrets of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a TV, but it sits in our basement and gathers dust until we want to watch a DVD (which doesn't happen very much). I haven't watched TV since college, when all of my friends were hooked on Beverly Hills 90210 and I realized it was really boring. I'm totally at a loss hearing about Sex in the City, the Sopranos etc. And that is fine with me. (My kids have NEVER watched TV. They still hear about characters from the kids in their class, but I think this does good things for both their language skills, their love of books and their imaginations.)

    I wouldn't sweat the tiny wall. Running ebbs and flows!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no! I am soooo jealous that you and Jill and B got together... I would so have loved to have been there!

    I thought you were in CA ... what?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Cutting for Stone and couldn't put it down. Let me know what you think of it -- I won't say anything about the ending 'til you're finished, but when you get there, I want to know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you don't have a tv. We didn't watch very much growing up, and I'm sometimes tempted to get rid of ours now- but my husband likes to keep it for baseball and football.
    I completely hear you on feeling lazy! I'm thinking July is my cut back month of running for the year. It started b/c of my shin, but then I wasn't missing my runs which is so odd for me. I think it's a sign I needed to back off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have too many tv's, sigh. Although I'm not a huge tv fan and really could care less about most shows - there are a few that I enjoy a lot. My husband would keep the tv on 24 hours a day if he could. Thankfully it's usually just sports, so I can tune it out (as I type this, he's watching baseball and I've got my computer).

    I love meeting other bloggers (although I've only met a few), but I do have other friends that I've met online and consider to be my closest friends (kid related).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how in last blog post, you wrote about some pretty serious training for an upcoming marathon and ultra-marathon ... and in this blog post, you admit you're not in a running mood. Conflict much?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have yet to meet up with a blog friend, but I think it would be really fun:) Too many tv's at our house. I would love to try no tv for a month and see how it goes, but my husband would freak! That is his relaxation after a hard day's work:(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!