6.22.2012

Active Vacation

Next week, I will be in Oregon, spending some time at a friend's house near Bend. I am really looking forward to this, as it will not only be spent with friends and family, but from the house, within walking distance, there are several running and hiking trails. So this will not be a rest and relaxation vacation, although I am sure there will be plenty of time in the evenings for reading and other relaxing pursuits. This will be an active vacation, with lots of fun and physical stuff going on!

As you know, where I grew up is in a National Forest, so I am kind of assuming the part of Oregon we are in will look similar. Here is a photo of where I grew up.

Bald Eagle Mountain

Here is a photo I found online about the area we will be in.

The Three Sisters (source)

Okay, so maybe it's a little different. But there are mountains, and trees and water!

Where we will be staying is not actually in Bend, but in a cute little town (Population: 2,000, Elevation: 3,100) nearby. Besides hiking, the 15 Must Do Activities list says that I should also do these things:

- Eat an ice cream (I think I can handle that!)
- Go fly fishing (I LOVE fly fishing)
- See some live music
- Enjoy a coffee drink (naturally!)
- Bike around the area
- Paddle on one of the local lakes

I want to do all of those things! Also, I looked around a bit and I may also see many animals, including Elk and an animal called the Water Ouzel, which is a bird that flies underwater. I think I am going to have lots of fun and I won't be short of things to see and do! 

I have been to Oregon before and I loved it. I had a great time in Portland, eating my way around the neighborhoods (and I found some GREAT food!) I did some hiking in the Columbia River Gorge, which is beautiful. I also went to the coast and ate cheese and stared at water and fog and houses and rocks. I loved my trip last time and so I have high hopes for this one as well!



Have you ever been to Oregon? Do you normally stay active or try to relax on your vacations? 

*Don't forget to stop by Jills for some more Fitness Friday posts!*

15 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds fabulous!

    I've never been to Oregon but would love to go! Chad and I were just talking about making plans for an active vacation. Being active, seeing new places and trying new things is what I call a vacation. Being active relaxes me more than doing nothing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds awesome! I would love to see more of Oregon. I really want to visit Lauren some day in Eugene, OR. I'll get out there someday. Bend sounds awesome. That will be a great active vacation for you!

    Most of my vacation end up being what I would call active, but it's mostly me walking and walking and walking, so it's a different kind of active! I have actually never gone on a vacation that was meant to be relaxing, besides a weekend trip to a spa last summer! If I had more vacation time, I'd love to plan a trip to Colorado and visit the area where I worked during college. There is so much hiking to do in the area (and fly fishing - although I don't know how to do that). And I am in much better shape now than I was then, so I think I'd love the hiking even more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it will be a wonderful vacation! (I *heart* the Pacific northwest.)

    I fall solidly into the active vacation camp -- even when I'm on a "relaxing" vacation, I find ways to run-as-sightseeing or go hiking or biking or snorkeling. To me that IS relaxing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vacation sounds like a lot of fun and perfectly you! I've driven through Oregon (along the coast), but that was a LONG time ago and I don't remember much of anything. I like to have some activity during vacations. When we go to my parents' beach house, I like to take long walks and go on bike rides. But, when we travel to big cities, I like to do a lot of walking to explore the city. So, I guess it depends on what kind of vacation we're taking to determine what kind of activity I prefer to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I've never been to Oregon, but it's on my list of places I must see. We love active vacations, too. Neither my husband or I are "lay on the beach all week" folks, although we can enjoy that for a day or two as well. Have an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are going to have best time! I love the Bend area. Sunriver (near Bend) is our favorite place to visit! As you know, I prefer to be active on vacation and Bend is the perfect place to do that. Have a great time and enjoy all your activities:) I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Oregon but it looks beautiful. I like to travel and mix up relaxing with trying new things. It's fun to explore your destination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been to Oregon but you are making it sound wonderful! I love being active on vacation. Have a great vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun trip. I'd love to see that bird.

    I've been to Oregon a few times as a kid. I remember going to Crater Lake (gorgeous) and to the sand dunes somewhere and some other river rafting trip. I remember it all looking about like your pictures. So pretty.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHA everytime Ithink about fly fishing I remember my father daughter vacation when I was 11, we traveled by car with trailer from Jersey to Wyoming to camp in Yellowstone Park. My dad had previously bought all the fly fishing gear needed. When he went out, he kept screwing up, but then felt he finally got the hang of it til he hooked his own ear.. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no! Those Three Sisters are near where I grew up! They are at Canmore which is very close to Banff, Alberta, Canada! But Bend is lovely and I recall seeing a restaurant there that advertised the world's largest pancakes.

    Have a great time, Kyria.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds amazing!! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like it will be an amazing time! Perfect for someone like you who loves running and hiking and the outdoors!

    Other than flying through Portland, I have only been to Oregon once. I thought it was really beautiful and would love to spend some more time there in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds awesome!! I have been to Portland to run the marathon there in 2010 but that's it. Bend looks amazing. One day I want to roadtrip down the Oregon Coast to SF. It's on my "must do" travel list :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have a great trip! It has been ages since I have been to Bend, but it is definately amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!