7.25.2011

Normal is as Normal Does

Fellow blogger Nora mentioned that this blog was talking about what it is like to be "Normal". She mentioned how she some of the things on the list pertain to her and some don't. The same applies to me. However, personally, I think this guy has watched Fight Club too many times. He treats "normal" as if it were a disease. He says that "normal" is people who, "work jobs that they don’t like in order to buy things they don’t need to impress people they don’t care about."

Hello? Tyler Durden already said this, and I quote -- "Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy shit they don't really need."


We all feel it. The rat race. The necessity of working to get things that we want. Or sometimes things that we think we should have, or our kids should have. Or that we should want. So what? 

I spend all my hard earned money on travel. I haven't "settled down" and "had kids" and done what "normal" people do. So what? On the other hand I have too many pairs of shoes. I work so I can eat overpriced food and buy yet another book that I don't need or a sweater that will last me for one season. Does it make me happy? Yes! Do I NEED it? No. Of course not. 

Really, what do we actually NEED? Food, shelter, warm clothing and love. So I have a new list for you. Normal people eat. Normal people try to keep dry. Normal people wear socks. And Normal people want hugs. What's wrong with being normal? 


He is very negative about being "normal". I guess he sees normal as working all the time trying to make money so you don't have time to commit to friends. Also, some of the things he says are "normal", I am not sure I agree with. He says things like how normal people are divorced, have their kids in day care, don't take care of their health and watch 4 hours of TV a day...but he says nothing of positive "normal" activities". The title of his article is "normal sucks".

Normal doesn't suck. Normal people are you and me. Normal is family and friends and yes, being busy trying to make money so we can afford to visit them. Normal is a mixture of work and vacations. Normal is trials and tribulations and successes. Normal is a mixture of happy and sad. Normal is not perfect. Normal is only what WE make it.

So let's make normal a good thing!


(by the way, when I googled "Tyler Durden", I got this: Amy Winehouse has been found dead at her home in Camden, north London. What? Sorry Amy! RIP)

4 comments:

  1. His post rubbed me the wrong way, too. I don't think normal people get divorced... A great number of people do, but if it was normal to get divorced, why would anyone marry?

    I don't subscribe to the belief that there is such a thing as 'normal'. I am not 'normal' compared to most of my friends and family in that I am single and 30. I think normal is totally subjective. My normal does not = an other person's normal. And that is good because that is what makes us all unique.

    I like normal, though. Or my normal I should say. I was happy when live returned ot normal after the CFA and I could do the things I enjoy and see the family/friends I had neglected for all those months!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normal is great, I think. It might not be terribly exciting, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a "normal" comment from another St. Louis blogger. There's nothing wrong with normal if it makes you happy. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post, your post I mean. I think normal is super hard to define, and varies depending on who you ask, but being normal definitely doesn't have to be negative. I didn't read this guys post because I have a feeling some of his arguments would put my blood pressure up haha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to respond to comments, so please check back soon for my reply!